Monday, April 25, 2016

"Like a Good Neighbor, You're on Your Own!"

Happy Monday! I am already planning where I want to walk today. Happily, I am addicted to walking these days. I thought about golfing today but I am without a vehicle and, though I could walk to a golf course, I don't think I want to walk that far carrying by golf bag that far. I do have a hand cart with wheels but how weird would I look on the bike path next to our subdivision walking with my golf clubs and cart? Maybe I need to get a golf motorized (electric) cart but I enjoy walking! The closest course is only 1.4 miles away and it is supposed to rain this afternoon. Maybe if I just took a small bag with a putter, a 3-wood and a 5-iron I could chance it?

In the category of "everything is about me" last night's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver talked about Puerto Rico where ME is going in a few days. Their economy is in the pooper and sales tax there is 11%. I suppose we will be helping their economy but why aren't they promoting tourism more? They are an American (U.S. and A.) territory so you do not even need a passport to travel there if you are an American citizen. I am going to see if I can get my passport stamped anyway. I tried that in England when we landed in Heathrow Airport and they wouldn't do it unless we were going outside of the airport; we were on a connecting flight to Czech Republic. I asked, "what if I get it stamped, step outside and come back in?" English don't have the same senses of humor as me - luckily and smart for them. I intend to tip well, as I always do, whenever we are in a tipping situation while we are there. This report said that the poverty rate there more than 45% and they have a $70,000,000,000 public debt and they say it is "not payable." Sales tax has been raised to 11.5%. I am even happier that we are going there if to even financially help a few people and/or businesses. Oliver even showed a news clip that the country shut-off the electricity to a hospital for non-payment of their electric bill. They did wait until surgeries were done for that day, at least. I am going to take a lot of single dollar bills to help a lot of people with a small hand-up! In a way, I am looking more forward to this now.
These are not the beaches that they show in the brochures

It is 09:20 and I am going to break now to go do something to blog about. That will probably begin by me getting dressed. I still have to get some road-work in today. I may just go to the back of the subdivision where there are just streets and very few homes and run the roads back there. Maybe I will take Jeff with me and I will play Rocky Balboa and Jeff will play Butkus.

Okay, it is 14:45 and I have returned. I walked over to the golf course and met all my friends (yes, I was alone) and shot 36 holes. I just took a small club bag with a wedge, a 9-iron and a putter. When I say "I shot 36 holes" I mean I went to the practice/putting green by the clubhouse and chipped four golf balls nine times each and then putted the same balls into the holes. I must say that I very good at reading the greens right now. Maybe that comes from age, wisdom, calmness and concentration. I have been working on those things for almost this entire year so far. My chipping was pretty good too. Now, of course, I really have golf fever.

When I got home from the links I called State Farm Insurance to make sure there would be no problem with them insuring the rental car in Puerto Rico. I found out that, even though Puerto Rico is a United States territory they only cover the continental United States. What a load of poop. We insure four cars and our house with them and I don't think we have never filed a claim (nothing immediately comes to mind but I may be incorrect there) and I find-out that the whole "like a good neighbor" thing is bologna? Puerto Rico is more like a stepchild than just a neighbor and they are not there for them? So, I called one of our credit card companies and they'll cover the car rental as long as we use that card for the rental. Maybe I should drop State Farm and just lease vehicles using this card to save money if they cover leased cars. I wonder if the card would cover the home insurance if I made the mortgage payments through them too? Not to mention the points/miles we get for paying our bill to them. We payed for a lot of our Hawaii trip with the miles from this card several years ago.
"Cannot cover your rental car but we can pay for these crappy commercials, Jimmy"
I have lots more to write but now I will have plenty to write after I weigh-in tomorrow if I save some. I don't like the blog to get too long because I prefer to let you get on and get out so you keep coming back. So, that being blogged, I will end now. I do thank you for coming by. I hope you are having the same beautiful weather we are having. Maybe the rain will hold-out and Cha Cha and I can go for a walk when she gets home; I may go even if she is not game. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

Be well,
Be happy,
Be peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment