Saturday, August 29, 2015

Make Positives Out of Negative!

I am feeling a bit depressed this morning; maybe melancholy is the more appropriate word. I think I feel a lot like the way that Pinocchio must have felt. I feel really close to being real but I am just a bit short of the realness. Last night my buddy Mike came out to corn country and we went down to Corn Fest (yes, the town that I live in has a yearly festival called Corn Fest). I am sure you have heard of Dekalb Corn. Mike knew some people who were preforming so we went down and watched Field Day play. It was at 17:30 so it was still early enough for me to be out. They were really good. They played a lot of music that can probably be heard on the Fleetwood Mac Pandora station.

Today is the day when the free corn-on-the-cob (yes, already cooked) is given-away. If you're coming out the free steamed corn is from 11:00 to 14:00 (or until all the corn is gone). They close down many of the streets of our town including the main street through downtown (Illinois Route 38 / Lincoln Highway). If the 70 tons of corn have been devoured before you get here do not worry there are always foot long corn dogs and funnel cakes and burgers and less healthy food and such that can be purchased on the street. And, the restaurants are all open right there on the main drag too. I am sure that you know this but corn is considered a grain and not a vegetable. We have to know that to become citizens of the town. I am not sure if I am going back down there - my illness may be turning me a bit agoraphobic. I like to be at home and I like to have a breathing machine mask blowing moist warm air up my nose. I kind of equate it to being a little kid and hiding under a blanket. Maybe it is just that I like how it opens my sinuses. The machine has an uplink in it that sends my useage information to whoever watches that kind of stuff. I was not really sure that was true but I got a call from a robot two days ago that gave me my statistics for the past month. I have been using it enough (92% of the time) to make HAL 9000 happy. I think it would have been 100% but the European electrical outlets and plane rides may have limited my usage a bit over the past couple of weeks.Yes, I even had an outlet converter - if you need to borrow it let me know.

It is raining now (05:27) and I wouldn't mind if it rained all day long. Just a bit ago it was thundering and pouring but now I just hear the light rain outside. Wow, just now as I wrote that, a huge, long clap of thunder struck and Jeff, who is lying in bed next to be, almost jumped out of his fur.

I want to be well again though I would probably never have gotten back to Europe had I not become broken. It's weird how, if we look for them, there are positives that come form negatives. If memory serves, and it usually doesn't these days, two negative numbers make a positive, right? I know that is true in grammar with double negatives. In mathematics, negative two multiplied by negative three equals six (-2 X -3 = 6) . I am not completely sure why that is the case but it is a rule and I try to follow rules whenever it is convenient to do so. And, with a failing memory (a negative) that is not always convenient (another negative so it must be a positive).

Being a real boy again would be great! The longer this drags on the more hopeless I feel. Hey, it is almost September already and the second-half of the property taxes are due in about a week and that reminds me that I have not received one paycheck since I have been off of work. I think that, eventually, I will get some disability back-pay but it has been difficult to get all of my doctors to get the proper paperwork filled-out correctly to my work. While we were gone I got a copy of a letter in the mail that my work disability department sent to the slowpoke doctor who changed my life. I am down to this one doctor's paperwork and it was just an issue of them not having the correct dates on the paperwork they sent in. I will call his office Monday morning to find the what-what. I took quite a bit of money from my retirement account for our trip because, ironically, the doctor who hasn't gotten the paperwork in correctly said that "if there is anything that you want to get done while you can still remember you had better get it done." I, of course, cannot remember the exact words but it was something along (very close if not exact) those lines. Luckily, Jill was there with me or I would be afraid that my mind made that up.

Okay, it is 06:28 now and I may try to sleep a bit again. Another great thing about inclement weather is that day sometimes looks like night and I much prefer the dark than the light. The dark and the air mask helps me feel like it's night. Is that another negative and positive thing? Have a great day and enjoy the corn if you come to town. I am not sure if I will blog tomorrow as I usually rest the blog on Sundays. Who knows? Maybe I will surprise us? TTT?????...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment