Thursday, August 27, 2015

I Am Legend! DUH!

 And Jeff is dog of Legend! 
It is really nice when your 18-year-old son tells you "you're a legend!" I need to be out of the country for a couple of weeks more often. Maybe absence does, in fact, make the heart grow fonder. We had such great conversations about many things while eating lunch yesterday. Maybe being out of high school and in college now has made him different too - more confident, feeling more grown-up? I know he wasn't all that happy in high school but I think that is what high school is for maybe.  He is acting more mature and confident and he is talking about things with me that would have been like pulling teeth just a few weeks ago.

I didn't even know it was Women's Equality Day yesterday until 14:58 yesterday afternoon. On August 26th in 1920 women gained the right to vote in the United States of America. I wish I had known that earlier for some reason. I still think women have a way to go in gaining the equal rights they deserve but I think things are headed in the right direction.

I feel guilty that Jill is sick. I am probably part to blame because I have been sick. At least we didn't have to fly home or head to the hospital like several other people on our river cruise. It is nice and cool outside so I opened the house windows at about 03:00 to get all of our germs out of here so Fabio doesn't get sick too.

I was kind of bummed-out when I was trying to listen to music in Europe. As you probably know, I am a huge Pandora fan and user. when I tried to logon to Pandora while we were abroad I got a message that read, "Sorry - Pandora is not available in this country." It goes through a satellite; how can it not be available? Unless it is a censorship issue because of revenue or advertising or something. I found other musical avenues
Outside of the Gutenberg  Museum
Another highlight of our trip for me (and I could go on about those forever) was visiting the Gutenburg Museum in Mainz, Germany. Print has been a big deal to me for most of my life. My love for print probably began with Dick and Jane and the went to Highlights magazine and eventually to me writing for newspapers and magazines and now this blog. To stand in front of THE Gutenburg Bible and the Gutenburg printing press was a very big deal. There are only 49 Gutenburg Bibles that still exist today. It really makes me appreciate how it is so easy to publish a blog compared to having to make metal imprints of every letter and ink plates by hand like back in the beginning. I wonder when, one day, people look back and see how archaic the internet is they will appreciate what we have now. Johannes Gutenburg was Time Magazine's MOM (Man of the Selenium) for very good reason.

I am still having some mini-seizures but I think most of them are still jet lag and getting re-acclimated to my current time zone. My medications were messed-up a bit too because of the differences in time and now I am trying to get back to CST. Maybe we crammed too much stuff into our time and we didn't get the proper rest we should have gotten. If it happens again I will have learned nothing from this and I will repeat the same behavior. I am a creature of bad habits. I am also thinking that maybe I got this cold at our first stop in London - it's one of there tricks to make us mention them in our blogs and have to drink their tea to soothe our throats. So, I am now having a spot of tea with honey.

While we were in Paris I kept thinking THIS over and over again. You never appreciate your language until you go to a foreign country that doesn't have the courtesy to speak English! (yes, that red thing there is a hyperlink to some early material of one of the world's best all-time stand-up comics).

I just saw a clip of the Chicago Cubs loss last night and one question came to my mind - why is cotton candy pink or blue? Why isn't cotton candy just white? Sugar is white. Is it because of the whole racial problems in our country? Is it a marketing thing? Is it so it isn't confused with real food?

Okay, that's all I have in the tank this morning. Soon I will be either dead or well and, either way, the blog will probably be improved. I keep getting distracted so I am really quitting now. Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you have a great day - it'll be nice having the air off and the windows open today so the germ exorcism can work. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment