Monday, August 24, 2015

Dorothy Gale Was Correct! No MATTer the Other Options!

I am so happy to be blogging again. The WiFi here in Europe, for the most part, is nothing like we are accustomed to in America. So now I am sitting looking out the window at Charles du Gaulle Aiport in Paris watching it rain like crazy outside. Our flight isn't for a couple of more hours. I have been pretty sick the last few days (stuffed-up, scratchy throat, sneezing, coughing...). I feel a bit better today though I only slept for a few hours last night. I am happy that we are flying business-class on the way home so I can just get in my pod and go to sleep for about seven-and-a-half hours. I will probably have a difficult time doing that because we will have those free movies again and I am sure I will pick one of two that I want to watch. I love movies and I love free.

I was sick right before we left to come to Europe too but, for most of the time here, I felt fine. I never let the cold keep me down though. I am not coming all the way over here and sleeping in a hotel room or on a boat or a train or with a goat or in the rain... We saw lots of really cool things. I imagine you have seen some of the photos on my Facebook page or on Jill's Facebook page or the An Idiot and a Broad page.

I have to say that most of the people that we encountered were very nice. The people of Luxembourg were probably the least friendly. Some of the French seemed very snooty, as we have been told, but more were nice than were snooty. Every other country had the courtesy to speak English but most of the French didn't. It made me think of THIS. I said that in my head over-and-over again while in Paris for a the couple of days.

I am actually kind of excited to get back home. Two weeks is a really long time to be away from home. It comes back the that old adage that you never truly appreciate something until it is gone.

Yesterday we went to Shakespeare and Company and I bought a few books. I have wanted to go there for quite some time but I didn't think I would ever have the opportunity - I was wrong. It used to be the gathering place of many famous writers like: Ernest Hemmingway, James Joyce, Ezra Pound, George Whitman, Henry Miller, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Matt In The Middle now...

I am falling asleep just sitting here typing. We milked just about every moment out of this trip. I think I am going to stop for now but I will probably be back tomorrow if I don't sleep the entire day away with this cold and getting acclimated to my new time zone again. And now they call that we are boarding...

It is now 15:14 Central Standard Time and we are home at our own house. Dorothy Gale was correct - though we had the time of our lives there really is "no place like home." Maybe we need to leave for  a while every now and again to appreciate what we take for granted occasionally.I could not post the blog (everything above this paragraph) because the WiFi in Europe is not nearly as good or as widely available as it is here in the US. Now that we are home I can blog regularly again; I love writing and I need the stress-relief outlet that it affords me. How did all of those famous writers that hung-out at Shakespeare and Company manage with the terrible WiFi?

I hope to get back on the regular blogging schedule again tomorrow. I still have lots of photos to post to the An Idiot and A Broad Facebook page. I took many photos with my camera but didn't bring the wire to upload them to the computer. Thanks for all the great comments on our vacation photos - believe me it was our pleasure. Have a great night - Jill is sleeping already and I will not be far behind her. TTTT....MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment