Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Maybe There IS Something Wrong With That!

Until tonight maybe. Minus 128.6 is about to go down!
Another day in paradise. That is as long as paradise is located in Vostok, Antarctica. It is only supposed to get down to minus eleven degrees Fahrenheit here so, compared to Antarctica, this is kind of tropical I suppose. When I get off work tomorrow morning at 0600 it is supposed to be -11 and who knows what the windchill will be?!  It may be a long johns night. I have not worn my long johns one day yet this winter. I have worn a long-sleeved turtle neck under my uniform shirt several times but no extra down below, I just figured my hot ass would keep me warm. Tonight may even be too much for my sweet Bermuda onion. Bermuda is warm isn't it? Maybe I won't need the long johns after all?

I am feeling a little better than yesterday. I am still a bit run-down but after tonight it is my weekend so I think I should be able to work so I have something to complain about (the weather) in tomorrow's blog.
I say maybe there IS something wrong with that!
I went and ran some errands this morning. I took the old car battery back for the core refund, I went to the supermarket and got a few things, I dropped some things off at Goodwill. Mostly things that Fabio has out-grown (when you are 6'6" that will happen occasionally. I just know that second-hand since I am still a little average MIDDLE guy of 5'9". I checked some old lottery tickets (no winners) and I went to another supermarket to get a few other things. While driving I heard that TBS is speeding-up reruns of Seinfeld by 7.5% so they can squeeze a few more minutes of commercials into each showing. Why do you think they decided to settle on 7.5%? Will they slowly increase the speed once we are desensitized to the 7.5%? I have heard what I have thought were weird sped-up voices on other shows before but I have not watched Seinfeld in a long time. I rarely watch shows that are not DVR'd because of my work schedule so I would probably not notice anyway. It's not bad enough that we have to pay for television but now they want to show MORE commercials too. You would think that, since we pay for television these days, we would get shows commercial-free. That has angered me for quite some time but what can I do about it other than not watch television (not an option) or DVR almost everything (my standard practice). I know they are working on ways to thwart that practice because working the products into shows like some of the smart shows do would be too difficult to monetize their greedy satisfaction I imagine.

Last night Cha Cha and I watched The Theory of Everything. That is the film about Stephen Hawking.What a fascinating story. It was, as you might imagine, more cerebral than action-packed. It is a very good movie. We watched it on pay-per-view or whatever DirecTV calls it. Oh, I just checked and they call it DirecTV Cinema. That is not a very clever title but maybe they just want to keep it simple so there are no mix-ups.

I cannot believe I didn't realize yesterday that it was Matt Tuesday. Sorry if I disrespected: Dillon, LaBlanc, Lillard, Modine, Damon, Groening, Lauer, Broderick, Perry, McConaughey, St. Matthew or any of my fellow Matts/Matthews. I hope I don't get kicked out of The Handsome Matts Club for this faux pas.
Mike Fox makes me not feel so old as a member

I just rejoined AARP. You can become a member at the age of 50. I was a member and I let my membership lapse but I thought I would go ahead and renew. We are planning on doing some travelling and I bet I can safe money as a RP that isn't retired. I assume that the RP still stand for "retired persons." There really aren't nearly as many RP's as there used to be. I think I will be a RIP way before a RP. It is not really as necessary to retire anymore sine most people don;t do back-breaking work like back in the day. Most jobs now allow us to sit on our RUMP's so we can keep working. I wish the AARP discount would save on things like mortgages and utility bills and other big things. You pretty much save on things that you don't NEED to have. Just like most things it is a way to put money into someone else's pocket. I will make sure to use it to at least get my $16 per year back.I think that will be pretty easy to do.

I wrote some notes for the blog because I am of AARP age - let me go find my little notebook. Blog among yourselves until I get back.

Maybe I should have consulted my notebook when I went to the store because I forgot to get power steering fluid. Why write it down if you're not going to read your notes moron? I even had the notebook with me! I had a MIDDLE AARP who will never retire moment I guess.

Was so much better with The Mattgarita Happy Hour
I did not write too many things that I have not already blogged about. I did write about Margaritaville (the song). It was playing on the radio while I was driving around (I sure do drive a lot - maybe I should be an UBER driver) and I thought a lot about that song / phenomenon. The song was written in 1977 in Key West by Jimmy Buffett. I remember listening to it in college in the early/MIDDLE 1980's. It was a fun song to listen to while you were drinking. In 1985 the first Margaritaville restaurant opened in Key West (one my favorite places in the world - I love the Keys). There are now 29 Maragritaville's worldwide. He has his hands in everything. This guy is a bazillionaire now because of my help. I had my own show on Radio Margaritaville for a couple of years called The Mattgarita Happy Hour. When Radio Margaritaville went to SiriusXM Radio they began playing ONLY music and did not bring shows like mine over to the new forMATT. I had thought, when I heard that Buffett was going over to SiriusXM, that I would soon be world-wide famous but that was not in the cards. I cannot believe he cut me out after I made him so famous/popular. Anyway, I digress... my point of that all was that you never really know what could be the thing that pushes you to the next level. Buffett wrote this cute little song about escaping everyday life and going to your own personal "island" and people just related to it and now he has more wealth than he can ever spend. I met him only once; I imagine it was the highlight of his life. I wish I could say that he was a jerk so I could dislike him but he was very nice. He is short though - that makes me feel a little bit better.

Alright, I have to get more things done around here before I sleep before my Friday begins. I think I am going to go dig out those old recordings of The Mattgarita Happy Hour for old time sake. Thank you for stopping by. Just keep doing what makes you happy and maybe one day you will be rewarded for doing what you love. Maybe you already are and aren't even aware of it. I feel I am rewarded in non-monetary ways every day for doing what I like to do. I hope you have a great Hump Day (my Friday). I will try to come up with something blog-shattering for tomorrow. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment