Wednesday, October 23, 2013

It's All Downhill (skiing) From Here

Our front walk after I shoveled 5' of snow (I can't wait)
It snowed again today - that's two days in a row. I supposed that makes it too difficult to continue my denial. Winter is right around the corner. I know people who have never experienced a good old Midwestern winter think it seems great but it really isn't. You see all of the of the beautiful new-fallen white snow and, yes it is   beautiful, but that is just the propaganda. That stuff is really cold and mix that with 40-mile-per-hour winds and you get something called "windchill." Windchill sucks! I am not sure what the formula to generate this number is but it all equals cold as Hell. I am not sure who ever came up with that phrase but it must have been made with sarcasm on a really hot day and it just was fun to say so even actual cold things became "as cold as Hell." But, I digress. The first time you shovel or, snow-blow or plow, the driveway it's not that bad but it gets worse - much worse. The first one is usually in December and it's a pretty snow and it's not too wet and heavy but then... January and February come. It feels like 50 degrees below zero Fahrenheit and you have to have your entire body covered. Any exposed skin will be burned more than if you were shoveling snow on the sun. Maybe that is a bad example though I do imagine that shoveling snow on the sun would be worse if that were possible. Anyway, not really happy winter is on the way.

The World Series is getting ready to commence. I am sure you know who I am rooting for. This is where that stupid idea for the all-star game comes into play. The winner of the all-star game (National League or American League) gets home field advantage in the World Series. The all-star game is still lame (see, it doesn't even get capitalized). It was good back in the 1970's when Pete Rose would knock the catcher down if he were blocking home plate but ballplayers don't play ball's out like Charlie Hustle did. Actually, even back then, now that I think about it, didn't play like Pete Rose but they may have then if "it counted." Don't even get me started why he should be in Copperstown. Yes, I think he should be in the hall of fame. I cannot believe this is Carlos Beltran's first World Series. He has the third highest postseason slugging percentage behind Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig - I am happy he is on my favorite team and made it to the Series. Three times he fell short of going to the Series by only one game. I hope the Cardinals win just for him (and for me). Of course, they have to bring up all of the bad things from Boston earlier this year. Wonder why we can never heal? We just keep picking those scabs! They just have to kill a lot of time. Why can't they just show the game already. Why do I watch all of this fluff? Planting commercials in the broadcast pisses me off too. Television isn't free anymore (satellite, cable...) so stop with all of the commercials. I will watch the first four or five innings and then will have to listen to the rest of the game on the radio. You know, because I have mentioned it here before, that I do like baseball on the radio though.
He is one of the reasons I played like I did

I think the fans in Boston are actually booing some of the Cardinals' players as they are being introduced. What a bunch of assholes (the ones booing). I GUARANTEE that will not happen in St. Louis. I have heard that many people in beantown are not too cordial. I have many friends from and in Boston and I do know that many of them are great people and not a-holes.

I am tired but it's too late to take a nap. I have to get ready for work in about 1 1/2 hours and the game is on anyway.

Dirty Laundry Podcast should still be ready tomorrow. That isn't to say that it will be but it should be. I have a few things I have to get done - like root the Cards to get at least four runs now. Thanks a lot for stooping by and for reading the blog. Make sure that you're caught up on the podcast so when the new one is ready you can listen right away. We salute Australia this week. We have lots of listeners there and what to show our appreciation by misinforming the world about their great land. Have a great night and a good morning tomorrow. TTTT (perhaps)...MITM (aus) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment