Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas is Over - Let the Greed Come Alive Again!

Let's hide our greed until the day after Christmas, huh?
There was just a report on the radio that they have finally come up with a cure for Hepatitis C that will be launched in 2014. What an amazing thing! Hepatitis C is a terrible disease (I think it is considered a disease) that can lead to many worse things. A lot of cases of Hepatitis C I know of have come from getting a tattoo but, that is not always the case. There are many people who got Hep C from blood transfusions and the like too. To treat, and totally get rid of the disease (nine out of ten test patients were totally cured), a person only needs to take one pill per day for twelve weeks. Sounds simple but, simplicity comes at a price. The drug is called Sovaldi and it costs $1000 per pill. So, for the twelve weeks of pills (84 pills in total) it will only cost you $84,000. Sure, the: rich, professional athletes, musicians... who have their bodies covered in ink can afford to be cured but, what about the rest that have this disease? I suppose, since it is such a quick cure and Gilead Sciences has to get rich from their work, they have to charge so much for the pills because they cannot make people take them for the rest of their lives. Most medicines are cheaper because they can make us take them for the rest of our lives and they can get their $84,000 (or whatever they get from each of us) over a longer period of time. It seems okay to rape us slowly over time but to rape us all at one time shows what kind of greed is involved. Congratulations Canadians, and your socialized medicine, you can now get rid of you Hepatitis C. Yes, I know there is a lot of money that goes into R & D (research and development) and the manufacturing and testing... but, seriously? I think it is curious that this article hit Forbes magazine the day after Christmas. I guess after Christmas they cannot be called Scrooges or Grinches; they didn't fool me. I'l like to think that the people that get into the various fields of science to try to make these kinds of discoveries are doing it for the betterment of life but, it's all about money. That's why I am one of the people that just squeak-by; I care about people and their well-beings (for the most part).

We recorded Dirty Laundry Podcast last night. I kind of wish we had heard that story before we recorded the show.
Most people hate Mondays but, this is my favorite day of the week. I have never been afraid to be a little different. Today we are working on the basement. I am not going to say that we are adding a wall or two because, that would require a building permit. We're just "working on" the basement. I should probably trim my finger nails first. Ever wonder why certain thoughts just enter our minds? I wonder that just about every time I write the blog.

My chest hurts. I am not sure if it is a muscle thing or a heart attack. I have heard that the heart is a muscle so, maybe it is both. How can the heart be a muscle?  I just checked and the source I went to said it's "a hollow muscular organ that pumps blood..." Does that make it a muscle?

I am starting to be jealous of all of the people that have been off for the holidays. The same jealously will not repeat itself next year. I could have had the two+ weeks off with pay but now, when this check comes, it will be almost twice as big as the other boring ones throughout the year. The crazy thing about working over the holidays is that we are working harder than normally; makes sense since we're getting paid double. I have to quit worrying about others so much; most of them couldn't give a Matt's ass about me. Next year we are going to be on a beach in a warm place for Christmas. If I am alive probably in Mexico or the Caribbean and, if I am dead probably in Hades. Some people call it Hell I call it Hades. Any suggestions on resorts? I would rather stay in one that is owned by one of the big hotels (Hilton, Sandals, Marriott...) because they have something to lose if we die there so, they are probably a bit safer. We intend to stay on the resort property the entire time so we don't get our heart muscles harvested.

It takes me hours to write one blog. Every time I write about something I tend to go off surfing the web. I just got done checking n all of Sandals' resorts and deals. Riviera Maya looks nice, Bermuda, Spain, Malta (not Illinois), Cuba (yes, THE Cuba), Jamaica (though more pricey for some reason - maybe Red Stripe?). I must have the attention-span of a poodle.

It's almost noon already and I haven't gotten hardly anything done yet. Thanks a lot for being here for one of the last days of 2013. I might blog again tomorrow. Tomorrow is New Years Eve isn't it? I will ring in the new year at work - making double time (basically). Have a great yest of your year - in case I don't get to blog that to you tomorrow. I will let you know when the new show is ready. I hope to get a few minutes to get that edited today between all of my other tasks. TTTT (or next year)...MITM (auld lang syning) OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment