Thursday, May 10, 2018

House Arrest and Licking

It is 14:04 already and I am still under house yard arrest waiting for the mulch, and the mulchers, to arrive either today or tomorrow. While waiting I mowed the backyard. If they do not come today that means I will be under yard arrest again tomorrow also. Makes me happy that I have four-day weekends.

I went to the library yesterday and got the three books from three other libraries. I got: Black Gun, Silver Star from the Kankakee Public Library, Kammie on First from the Malta Township Library and A Game of Their Own from the Rock Island Public Library. They are all due back by May 30th. I mention the due dates because, when I checked them out, the receipt said that I have an outstanding balance of 60 cents. I am a library scofflaw. I did not pay the balance because I did not have any cash. So, I will take in some change when I return these at the end of the month. I thought the buzzers were going to go off when I walked through those scanner things but they did not.

I finally finished the book that I got for Christmas from Splenda, Lincoln (a novel) by Gore Vidal. It is a very good book. I may be going out on a limb here but I think Abe Lincoln was a better President than what we have right now. Anyway, Black Gun, Silver Star is a book about Bass Reeves who was a frontier Marshal. He is the real man that they based the Lone Ranger character on. And, of course, since our country was still a closet racist country when the show was on Clayton Moore (a white man) portrayed him in the television show. And then, in 2013, Armee Hammer played him in the movie and Johnny Depp was Tonto. At least Jay Silverheels, who played Tonto in the television show, was really Native American. Since Reeves was African American he lived among Native Americans who accepted people more than the white folk and Tonto was based on a sidekick of Reeves'. Perhaps he had different sidekicks based on situations? Maybe The Lone Ranger wore a black mask on television and in the film to honor the real Lone Ranger?

The other two books are about the All American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL). I suppose, when the league was started during World War II, women were still kept down then like African Americans and Native Americans were during The Lone Ranger's days. Our country has come a long way baby but, I am afraid that, we will never be totally un-biased when it comes to: race, gender, religion, creed... in the world. Most of us, I hope and believe, are not prejudice but there will always be the people that are prejudice in one way or another. That thought makes me sad.

I have become obsessed with the AAGPBL. I guess finding that photo of my mom at the Peaches' baseball field flip a switch in me. I cannot wait for the celebration at the end of the month. I am considering putting the book that I am working on hold and write a story about women's baseball. There are books, obviously since I just checked two out of the library but there should be more. Of course, if I write and publish a book about women's baseball I will dedicate it to my mom.

I am still watching a lot of The Beverly Hillbillies, now and then, and Paul Winchell played a guy named Homer Winch. I could not place the face at first but he sounded like Tigger from the Winnie the Pooh movies and it was easy to know who it was after I heard his voice. I could also hear a little of Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff  as well  as other cartoon characters in there.


I saw a news report about a Boston Bruins' hockey player named Brad Marchand who is constantly licking faces of opponents. What the hell is that? Has been warned by team and the National Hockey League (NHL) to stop but he continues to do it. People in the crown hold up signs that say thinks like, "Hey Marchand, Lick This!"

It is almost 15:20 so I am off to accomplish something else. I may start by clipping my toenails. I hope you have a super rest of your Thursday. I will be able to blog again tomorrow because I will be here reading and waiting for the mulch people to show up. It better not be raining. Thank you for coming by and do not let people lick you unless that's what you're into. I cannot believe NHL players don't knock that dude out. TTTT kemo sabe...MITM (out).

No comments:

Post a Comment