Friday, July 11, 2014

This Day In Baseball History

Drum Corp Show crowds can get pretty unruly
I said I would blog this morning and I am blogging. Sometimes a plan DOES come together. My only FULL day off has commenced and it has started off pretty well. The fence got finished yesterday afternoon and I spent an hour or so playing with Jeff in the backyard this morning. He never rarely misses catching the Frisbee anymore. He is still kind of unsure what to make of having the "run" of the entire back area. I also got a text from my Sergeant asking if I want some overtime Sunday night working security at the Drum & Bugle Corp show. My normal starting time Sunday is 22:00 but, with this, I will start at 17:00. That means I will probably get five hours of overtime or comp time. You know that I will take the comp time. That equals nearly another full day off with pay. I will probably be directing traffic or checking bags or crowd control. I cannot imagine what other things would need to be done at an event like this. All those years in the Fox Valley Raiders and I never really thought much about how much it takes to put on one of these shows. We were always too busy trying to be perfect on the field. I did always appreciate the time the adults put in teaching us and busing us around the country and feeding us and protecting us and scheduling us... but I never considered all the work at the venues. I suppose that is true in most aspects of life even today. We take so many things for granted in our daily lives. If you come to the show don't make me taze you bro!

This afternoon I am headed north of the border into enemy territory. The Milwaukee Brewers vs. the St. Louis Cardinals. It's funny that it takes less time for me to get to Miller Park than it does to get to Wrigley Field or U.S. Celluar Field. Not only that; parking is a pain in Wrigleyville. That makes me realize that I haven't been to a White Sox game in awhile. I may have to get down there this season. I wonder if The Cardinals are coming to the Southside this season. I still think inner-league play sucks but it does give people more chances to see other teams rather than the usual fare. So, for that reason alone, I think it is good. Let's do it for the kids! Nope, The Cards are not coming to The Cell this season. I am not really a big fan of the American League now that I think of it; that dislike all centers around the designated hitter. The DH is stupid in my mind. If the DH had existed in 1914 we may never have seen Babe Ruth hit. I am a baseball purist though I do like the new shopping mall ball parks.

I have to head over to Lowe's to get another gallon of paint. Painting is a pain in the butt. Another thing - I am getting even sicker of hearing about "additional handling" on television commercial. So, they're telling me that it takes a lot more effort to grab two boxes of whatever useless crap I am buying than to grab one box? I am not even hearing "shipping and handling" that much anymore. Extra money for shipping - at least that lie seems kinda feasible. I am paying zero money for handling. I will handle stuff myself.

I just found a piece of blog accidentally channeling history. It was 100 years ago today that George Herman "Babe" Ruth made his Major League debut as a member of the Boston Red Sox. Good move dumping that worthless piece of crap Red Sox. Maybe rather than my Cardinals jersey or my Bob Ueker shirt I should wear my Babe Ruth Yankees' shirt. I actually bought that shirt at the old Yankee Stadium. So many wardrobe choices. I sound like I am going to an award show and need to do costume changes. Are guys supposed to worry about their clothing so much? I know the answer is "no." Maybe the Babe Ruth shirt and a Cardinals' cap? But then, which Cardinals' cap? I have about 10. The green one? The old-timey one? The box-style one with the while stripes around it (ala Pittsburgh Prates)? The blue one with the birds on the bat? The all-star one? So many wardrobe decisions indeed. In the words of Wolfie Mozart, "Why don't I have three heads?" He was talking about wigs though.

I need to get some stuff done so I don't feel guilty playing all night. Have a great day. If you happen to be in Milwaukee tonight and are hired to kill me I will be in section 208, row 7 in either seat 16 or 17. I hate to see innocent people injured so I will make it easy for you. Probably going with the Babe Ruth shirt but please read the previous paragraph in case I call an audible and we find better seats "in the front roooooow." Cardinals-Brewers game - probably no open seats tonight though. Thanks a lot for stopping by. Please listen to Dirty Laundry Podcast if you haven't heard the new show yet. I will probably blog again tomorrow unless the hit money is good enough on me by now. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment