Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Raiders of the Lost Laundromat

Adventures In Laundry Searching
Yesterday I did the real laundry and then Cha Cha and I went to the laundromatt to get the clothes dried (please read yesterday's blog for details why this was attempted). It sounds simple enough but it wasn't as easy as you might think. Seemed elementary in theory: load the clothes into the 4Runner, drive to the laundromat, unload the baskets of washed clothing, bed linens and towels, put the wet stuff into the dryers, put ten bucks into the change machine and act like you just won the slots in Atlantic City as the quarters spill-out, put the coins into the machines, wait while they dry and then fold them, sort them into the baskets, load them back into the car and take them home and carry them back into the house. BUT, I always have a big but... But...

We got to the first laundromat (yes, I said "the first laundromat") on South 3rd Street cleverly named Third Street Laundry at 22:09 and were excited to see that the place was empty. It was empty because they closed at 22:00. So, we drove to Laundry Lounge in The Junction Center. This one was great - a big screen television, game room, pool tables, movies and a sign that read "last loads at 8:30PM." We then drove to Dubble BubbleDubble Bubble is near the Cabrini-Green of our town (actually, many people were literally moved there from Cabrini-Green when it was closed and demolished in Chicago). It has been in many gang and horror films over the years. I believe it was also in Basketball Diaries and Keanu Reeves' Hard Ball among many other films and television shows. The Evans family lived here too on Good Times. Anyway, we got to the place and there were several people there (I knew they were open 24-hours per day) and we carried the five baskets of laundry into the place. When we had driven up I noticed a sign that read, "free dry with every load of wash." We got to the large wall of empty dryers and I went to the change machine. As I walked a lady pointed to a sign that read something like, "no clothes dried here that were not washed here." Signs, signs everywhere signs." There was no way to pay for the dryers. Maybe this was the sign that saved our lives? So, we loaded up the truck and went to the other side of town (not Beverly) which is predominantly Hispanic. This was the Epcot tour of attempting laundry. We found a place on North 6th Street called Launder Inn. We went in, loaded five dryers and finally began to dry our clothes, linens and towels. And, now I have something to blog about.

Tonight we record the other kind of Dirty Laundry. My entire life seems to be about Laundry these day. Maybe that is destiny when your name is Matt huh? I bet we talk about doing laundry on Dirty Laundry Podcast. The newest show was just launched yesterday in case you unaware.

We had free Cinemax and HBO this past weekend and I went through the channel guide and set the DVR for many things. Right now, while I write to you, I am watching one of the many Boardwalk Empire episodes that were recorded. I have loved this show since the beginning but only get to watch it occasionally when there are these free preview weekends that they rarely advertise. I would subscribe to a premium channel but most of the things I have no interest in watching. I check every Friday to see if there happens to be free premium channels. I'd say the last series I liked this much was when I watched Deadwood. They are kind of similar other than from different eras. I like shows about hoodlums and law-and-order based on historical  events.

I guess today is 9/11 isn't it? I don't want to say much more about that because no MATTer how I put it I would sound insensitive. I have often times been told that I am "too sensitive" or "overly sensitive" so I guess I could burn some sensitivity points but I will keep my big trap shut. It was a tragic, scary and sad day but, unfortunately, that kind of tragedy happens every day in many counties. I will always be sad for the families that lost loved-ones that day.

I think I am going to start watching Orange is the New Black on Netflix. Splenda has been telling me how great it is for months and months. I could even watch it while I work-out - at least the cycling part of the work-out.

Have a great whatever you want to be great. I appreciate you listening to the podcast and reading the blog. I hope they make you smile and/or think once in awhile. Hey, this is my last Wednesday off. This will be a weird work week. My whole life changes pretty much right as I enter my second half-century; a new chapter along with a new cover I reckin'. TTTT...MITM (out).

No comments:

Post a Comment