Wednesday, April 3, 2013

We Would BE So Much Better Without Money

The Fonz and Beetlejuice
After writing yesterday's blog I thought a lot about my college days. It made me think of all of the sports we played. We played intramural: football, softball, basketball I think all four years of college.We also played a lot of hockey but they didn't have intramurals for hockey. It made me smile and think of a few of our team names. One year for softball we were Love Brokers and I think that same year for basketball we were Phi Slammy Your Mammy. Love Brokers came from the movie Night Shift. What a great movie - not cinematically maybe but really funny. Kevin Costner's first film I think (don't blink your eyes). Directed by Richie Cunningham and starring The Fonz and Beatlejuice and Diane Chambers. Who else? Shannon Doherty even before she was in Little House on the Prairie. I know this may surprise you but Clint Howard was in it. And so was the director of the film in a couple of very, very small bit parts. You would think being Clint Howard's brother and the director of the film he could have gotten a bigger part. I want to see that movie again. I think I have it in a box on VHS somewhere in the crawlspace. The team name Phi Slammy Your Mammy was based on Phi Slamma Jamma. That was the nickname of the University of Houston Cougar's men's basketball team in the early 1980's. They were pretty good at basketball with players like: Clyde "The Glide" Drexler" and Hakeem Olajuwon. I think his nickname was Hakeem "The Dream" but I cannot swear to that. He went on to play with Ralph Sampson with the Houston Rockets and together they were The Twin Towers. Oh, college was the life. I really hope there is reincarnation.

While I write this I am watching another pretty good movie from back in the day - Predator. I am sure they will remake Night Shift and Predator one day because that's what they do. Maybe they will remake Footloose again soon; if they remake it would it be a remake of the first one or the second one? This is some of the worst editing that I have ever seen in Predator. It's on AMC so they have to cut some for content and probably more to make sure they get their hour+ of commercials in there.
Pre Mattstrual Syndrome Time

Even though my weekend has pretty much just begun I am bummed that it will end.

I am tired of everybody scamming everybody else. All of these commercials and  infomercials promising things that we all know are impossible yet millions of desperate people feel that they have no other choice and plunk what little money they have down on a lie. And then there are things that are bad for us but they are allowed to continue. How can something like cigarettes be allowed to be made and sold? I can understand the allure of gum disease and halitosis and the potential of cancer and heart disease I guess. Everything is about money in America and be damned the welfare of the people. It even comes down to things like soda pop. Wouldn't be all be better off if we only had water to drink? But, there's lots of money to be made in diabetes and dentistry. I have been in a crappy mood for about a week (end of the month and all - Mattsruation) and my blogs tend to mirror that time of the month.

The washer and dryer both stopped so it's time to fold and start a new load. I also have to tidy-up the studio a bit since Jay Cole will be here tonight to be on Dirty Laundry Podcast. I also have to work on some show prep. When I say "some" I mean A LOT (or ALL). I also have to go to the store so I can keep doing the dishes; we're out of dishwashing soap. Okay, the laundry is calling. Have a great day and remember that the warm air will be arriving in the MIDDLEwest one of these days. Thanks a lot for stopping-in and for listening to the podcast. We're back up in the top 50 with the podcast (number 39 right now). I need to quit worrying about that but we have not reached number one yet since switching to the comedy genre. I don't think we have even made the top ten yet but we will. Get your emails in for the podcast by 4PM MST (Middle Standard Time). TTTT...MITM (out!) Ta

No comments:

Post a Comment