Saturday, June 7, 2014

Mini Travel Log - WooHoo Y'all

It is unreal how driving a mere six hours south and not leaving your own state can be so different. It's more like being in Greenbow, Alabama than Illinois. Every time I try to access the internet here at out hotel I have to re-sign in to the internet. Thank goodness places like Panera or McDonald's or Barnes and Noble... are not this moronic. What do they think is going to be the problem if they just keep the internet open and have a range set that doesn't let the signal go beyond the hotel itself?

Hey, I just thought of something. I am down south and I am sunburned. I am a true redneck! WooHoo y'all!!!!!!

I went to one of the 24-hour stores to get a few things early this morning. I have always been an early riser. I needed socks and I wanted to get a pair of cargo shorts. We are going to do the wine trail today and I thought extra pockets for corks and knives (since we will be in the backwoods) and such would be handy. I actually had two pairs (it has always seemed weird to pluralize the word "pair" to me) of shorts when I went up to purchase my items and the second pair set off some message on the computer. The lady said "I cannot sell these to you." I asked why and she said "I can't tell you. I just can't sell these to you." Of course, I could not leave it at that and I asked, "you can't tell me or you won't tell me?" She then, in the best way she could put the words together between her jack-o-lantern smile, explained that she didn't know the reason but the computer contraption deally would not allow her to sell me the other pair of shorts. 

When I drove out of the parking lot I saw all of the people setting up their stands on the various corners. When I say "stands" I am referring to the people with the signs begging for money. I am a very sympathetic, bleeding-heart person but, these same people have been down here since I can remember. Their signs always say something about: a sick family member, how they lost their job, a religious figure (usually God or Jesus), their kids (that was a big one at Christmas time), someone is sick or needs an operation, pregnant wife at home... These same people have had the worst luck in the world for years. There was a dude last time who was actually playing the saxophone; at least there I am getting a little something other than just the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart. This was the same guy who had a bike next to him that probably costs more than my car. Today I saw something that confirmed my suspicions. One of the women that I have seen doing this for about a year now was travelling between four corners (where people were posted with their signs). She has been promoted to a supervisor or a district manager or something. I was there early enough to see the "shop" setting-up. It was like being backstage at Disney World and seeing Mickey without his head on. Maybe I will go back late tonight a watch when the limousine comes to pick them up.

The tiny refrigerator in our room doesn't work and the Wifi deal, along with the sunburn, are making this not as fun as I had pictured. It isn't bad but not great yet. I am counting on the 30 or so wineries in my very near future to remedy that. We will probably go to downtown Salukiville tonight and see what they know. There are a lot of great memories from down there on "the strip." Most of those great memories are from Gatsby's which no longer exists. I would write a book about it but print is dead (he writes as he sits and types his blog).  I can't usually remember where my car keys are but this I can remember like it just happened yesterday (coincidentally the last time I lost my car keys).

Why do we still even have keys? What happened to retinal recognition and stuff?

The troops are starting to move around so I am gonna wrap-up. Don't try to break into our house while we are gone because we have a house-sitter there and our killer dog Jeff. Be warned! They also know not to let you get off the property once they kill you. They are well-trained in your extermination and disposal. Other than that, have a great rest of your day. I may blog again tomorrow. Maybe I will drunk blog later. That is sometimes fun. TTT?...MITM (out) 

No comments:

Post a Comment