Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Dr. Cha Cha?

I had something great to write here and I thought to myself, "self, you had better either write it down or type it on that blank page so you don't forget the idea. My MIDDLE-aged mind thought, "you won't forget because it is such a great idea." Guess what? I did not write it down or type it here and I forgot what this great, funny, world-changing, Earth-shaking thought was and now I am starting the blog about the idea that I forgot. It will probably pop into my mind sometime in the next couple of days but, whatever that thought was, will not be as pertinent and I will decide to forget it AGAIN.

There is an older movie (1992) on television right now called Shining Through. It is a WWII espionage film. It stars Melanie Griffin and Michael Douglas. I am one hour and two minute into the film and Liam Neeson shows up in a Nazi uniform at a dinner party. I wonder if this was his audition tape for Schindler's List. Hey, Schindler's List was made in 1993 - I thought I was kidding but now I don't think so anymore. I am often amazed how many times my silliness turns out to be right. That's why I am so silly.

I have bumps all over my body. They are very small and unnoticeable unless you are looking for them. However, if Helen Keller were to touch me she would think I had The Iliad tattooed on my body. I am not sure if it is residual from the poisoning (oak/ivy/sumac) from before that was still in my system rearing it's ugliness again because the steroids have worn-off or this is something new. When I was a kid these are what my parents would probably have called The Hives. They itch a great deal. I wonder if it is because we will be heading back to Southern Illinois very soon and my body is in worry mode. I keep telling my body that we will be staying in a hotel this time and if I do go into nature I will wear enough clothing that I will look like a beekeeper but I don't think my body believes my mind anymore. The mind has tricked the body so many times over the years that it has finally gotten wise.

I love the weather we are having today on MY Friday. It is chilly and rainy. For a person who sleeps during the day this is fantastic. It also means I will probably be able to wear my jacket at work tonight - I love the extra pockets my work jacket provides. Then, tomorrow is my phone interview for the potential job. I am still unsure what will happen if I am offered the position. They daytime hours are a huge enticement for me.

Northern Illinois State Normal School
Do bombs really whistle when they fall from the sky like they are doing in this film? If so, why? I think it is just for effect so we know they are falling and not just bombs that were planted or grenades. It is actual air raids why would they want the bombs to whistle? It seems like a design flaw if that is really what happens. It must be a real thing because it seems to happen in all war films. I had to know - thank goodness for the interweb -  "It is true that bombs in World War II would make a whistling sound as they fell. This could be heard by both the pilot and the target, however due to the Doppler effect, they heard different things. The pilot would hear a high pitched whistle and as the bomb accelerated it lowered in pitch. The target would initially hear a higher pitched whistle than what the pilot heard because the target is in front of the bomb and the pilot is behind the bomb. The pitch would continue to increase until the bomb struck. This is assuming the bomb is going slower than the speed of sound. The bomb will not reach the speed of sound until it has fallen ≈19 500 ft.The whistles were purposefully attached to the bombs. Their purpose was to weaken enemy morale and to enhance the intimidation of dive-bombing. Look at the Stuka dive-bomber, a similar case. What other purpose did it's sirens have? As far as warning the target, it's too late to get to safety once you hear the whistle if you're not there already (bombs fall fast). Not all bombs were equipped with whistles, but they still all made noise as they fell due to air displacement (just not the famous whistling sound)."  That sure was a lot of information but now I know. 
     Cha Cha, who already has one Master's Degree, among several other degrees, just came in and told me she has received word that she has been accepted to DePaul University for their Master's Program. I think she is trying to get degrees from every university in Illinois. She only has a few more to go. Maybe one day I will have to address her as Dr. Cha Cha. I am very proud of her. See, you don't have to be smart - just marry somebody who is smart and you become smart by association; I am fine with that. Her grandmother and her aunts would be very proud of her too. They were all educators who went to school right here in town way back when Northern Illinois University was known as the Northern Illinois State Normal School. It's sole purpose back then was to prepare college-educated teachers. They were a very big influence on Cha Cha and I am sure they are smiling down every day from where ever it is we go when we leave this life. Cha Cha will be a doctor one day and I cannot even remember what I was gonna blog about - I am pretty lucky to have that crutch to lean on. Just wait until Dr. Cha Cha has to change my adult diaper one day.
This turned pretty long-winded today. I just take it as it comes and it came big today. Please listen to this week's Dirty Laundry Podcast to hear the wisdom of Dr. Cha Cha and her sidekick Sheerluck Holmes (The Agitator). Thanks a lot for coming here today. I know there are so many better things you could be doing. Have a great night. TTTT...Sheerluck (MITM) out! TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment