Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Is Poor Customer Service the Cause of All of these Shootings?

So called Customer Service Centers are a joke. We had Comcast/Infinity WiFi installed several months ago. The wireless speed is awesome but the cable running through the backyard has not been buried yet. Every time I mow the lawn I curse them. The first call I made today a woman answered. She started to help me but she was in the billing department. There was no option that mentioned what I needed so I picked the closest one. When I explained what I needed (remember I have a couple of degrees in Communications) she asked, "so you need to add service?' ARGGHH! When I re-explained what I needed she asked if she could transfer me and when she did she hung up on me. So, I called back and tried the technical support option. I explained that we had a cable lying in our backyard and need it buried and he said, "so, you need the service in your house relocated?" DOUBLE ARRRGGHHH!!! When I repeated EXACTLY what I had previously said a little slower he took my call-back number... then we got to the point where he needed to transfer me and I said, "the last person who tried this hung up on me. Are you gong to do the same?" He assured me that he would not and said he would stay on the line with me until the other person answered. He transferred me and I got disconnected. He was gone too. So, I called again and played the Wheel of Useless Options again. This time I clearly reached a call center. By the sound of the background and the guy I was speaking to I assume it was in India. I explained it for the third time (it is really so simple) and he asked if I need the wires moved. He was the closest guesser so far but did not understand what I wanted either. I think he finally figured it out and said, "they work from 8AM - 8PM tomorrow." I then asked, "so, you are telling me that it will be buried tomorrow between 8AM and 8PM?" He said "yes." I thanked him and now I will hope that he knew what he was talking about. I worked in a large customer service call center as a supervisor right after college for awhile and I know how difficult this job is but, many of the problems are created by the CSR (customer service representative) by simply not listening, That's how I became a supervisor so quickly... I have the ability to listen. We have two ears and one mouth because we are supposed to listen twice as much as we talk.

It's only June 10th and my forehead is already peeling from sunburn.

Writing that first paragraph makes me feel a bit better. I sure hope that cable gets buried tomorrow. Mowing the lawn is a pain and we are having a fence installed soon right where that cable is lying.

What in the Hell is going on with all of these shootings in America? It seems like there is a new shooting every day. Maybe poor customer service is a deciding factor? Luckily, I have a blog to allow me to vent. A great many of the shootings have been at schools. I work at a place that has experienced this horror. I did not work there at the time of the shooting but I did live in this same town and know how it changed everyone. Today there was a shooting at an Oregon high school. I mentioned a week or two ago about training we had at work recently but, the training only works after the problem has begun. How do we stop the shooting from happening in the first place? Are people this angry? Do they just want the fame (even if it is through infamy)? Is social media to blame? The 24-hour news cycle? Maybe we should not mention the shooters when we talk about these incidents. I bet more people know who John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald are than know who Benjamin Harrison and James K. Polk are. I know all of the Presidents but I bet I know the names of just as many assassins. Security has been increased at many place in the country but, if someone really wants to punch their ticket to Hell they will find a way to do it. Reminds me why I want to move to Canada.

I have to wrap-up. Have a great rest of your day. Thanks a lot for reading my whining. I will probably blog on my Friday (tomorrow). Three-day weeks are awesome! TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment