Thursday, January 31, 2013

It's a Gullible World After All, It's a Gullible, Gullible World!

I just heard today and tonight's weather forecast and it sounds like I will have a fun night tonight. I will be outside for about 6.5 - 7 hours and it is supposed to be between 15 and 25 below zero with the wind chill. I cannot wait. I am pretty sure it is a long johns night. Where did that name come from? When and why did long thermal underwear get nicknamed long johns? Did the pirate Long John Silver wear them in the Caribbean?  Should women wear long janes? Probably not since "johns" is fine with spell-check and "janes" has that little red squiggle beneath it - you cannot see the red squiggle but I promise you it is there on my end. Right now it is only three below zero here.

What is America more concerned with? People being killed by guns every day or the possible return of Twinkies? Most seem to want Twinkies back more than want guns gone. I think most people know my stance on the guns - I am okay with guns but I am not okay with guns killing people especially children. I am certain that civilians should not have automatic and semi-automatic weapons. I am not certain, however, if we are just hyper-sensitive about the issue now or we are just more aware. The media seem to be covering at least one gun shooting / killing on every broadcast. Maybe that is also because I live in the Chicagoland area and there is a lot of violence there. I do not hear about shootings in Los Angeles and New York but I imagine that the shootings in those very large cities are comparable to our MIDDLEwest mega-city.
Air for sale - SERIOUSLY!

I just saw a report that there is so much toxic smog in China that a man (Chen Guangbiao) is getting richer selling cans of air.  Pictures I see of China look like photos we have here when we have fog (maybe our fog is really gunsmoke). Smog is caused by pollution and fog is merely caused by a large quick change between the air and the ground temperatures. Guangbiao is already a millionaire because Chinese people seem to be as gullible as American people but now he is selling aluminum cans full of air for 80 cents (5 yuan) per can. Once they pop the top of a can of air doesn't the air just escape and the product now joins with the smog before they can "drink" it? If this guy has enough fresh air to fill truck-loads of cans and sell it why doesn't he just pump it into the atmosphere and get rid of the smog? Because, like gun manufacturers in America, he is more concerned with making profits than actually helping people from dying. Where does he get the fresh air? The product comes in three flavors. "Pristine Tibet", "Post-Industrial Taiwan" and "Revolutionary Tan'an." Ironic that China hates Tibet but without them they wouldn't have their air to sell. I heard that this dude also just gave away 5,000 bicycles to encourage people to ride a bike rather than drive. Maybe he is just selling the air to get attention for the problem of the pollution? I know America was smoggy too during the industrial revolution before we got it under control. I even remember problems as a kid in the 1970's. In Beijing the air was at a "dangerous level" for 19 of last 25 days. I have a feeling this guy is doing this to bring attention to the problem - I hope I am right. And, I hope it helps if that is what he is doing.

I have had the morning news on the entire time I have been typing this and I now remember why I don't watch the news. All they show is doom and gloom. I also know why I am a fan of sitcoms - burying my head in the sand to escape I suppose. Most of the doom and gloom they show on the news doesn't even effect me directly. I guess everything effects everyone eventually. I am so happy that my early career of working in news reporting changed. Seriously, why is all of the news bad? I know lots of good people who do very good things. Why do we rarely hear about the good in the world? I know "sex sells" but I think "doom and gloom sells" too. On the Dirty Laundry Podcast about gun control we did three or four weeks ago Cha Cha mentioned that the gun problem in America is because of fear. I know she is right. I never thought of it until she mentioned it on the show but that is exactly what it is. I am saying this tongue and cheek I think but, maybe some of the gun violence is "sponsored" by the gun manufacturers so more people get scared and buy guns to "protect themselves" from the boogeymen. Wouldn't that be a weird twist to this whole deal? I say this is "tongue and cheek" because I am not as paranoid as people who think the government is going to come into my home and kill me. Let's think about this. Would my gun have a chance against Maverick and Goose? If they want me gone I will be gone. I cannot afford any surface to air missiles to protect my family.

Today my 16-year-old newly-licensed son drives to school. All I can do is hope that he listened and the messages got in his noggin. I felt differently when my daughter began driving to school five years ago. Funny how testosterone changes everything. I am a reverse-sexist I think. I have said here many times here that I believe I am more estrogen than testosterone and I am further proving it to myself. I always thought I liked being with women more than men because they smell better and are nicer to look at but I am thinking I am more one of them than I knew. But, I am certainly a lesbian. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Okay, I am movin' on for today. Which channel shows more crap shows? TLC or A&E? Funny when they both started as artsy-fartsy networks. Crap, like air in a can, sells. See how I drag myself back in? Okay, moving on for real. Have a great day. I appreciate you for letting me relieve some of my stresses so I don't need to get violent. Put down your guns and start a blog and/or a podcast - they do wonders to help relieve stress. TTTT...MITM (out before I start on another rant). TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment