Thursday, January 24, 2013

убедительная история (compelling story)

Three shots, bread and pickles just like Babuska use to make
Hello, my name is Elder Helser and I would like to share with you the most amazing blog! Hit it Roz!

Yesterday was a good day. Cha Cha and I went to Chicago to see The Book of Mormon. I figure we'll talk a lot of it on next week's Dirty Laundry Podcast but I have to tell you that if you get a chance to see the show do not pass up the chance. It was remarkably funny. If you are easily offended you may want to pass but I think you'd still find it funny. I think I learned some things too but I will not know that until I fact-check but I probably won't do that because it's fun believing I learned some things from Matt Stone and Trey Parker. I have actually learned a lot from South Park so I don't know why this is surprising to me.

After the musical (I like to call it a musical because A. that is what it is and, B. I sound so much more cultured seeing a musical than a play) we walked to a restaurant called Russian Tea Time. It was good. The check for the two of us the bill was $180.00 which seems a bit pricey for a Wednesday. There were several drinks involved which added a great deal to that check. How to you go to a Russian establishment that offers "vodka flights" and not drink vodka? Isn't that one of the things they are known for - vodka? It's also fun trying to follow the rules for the shots. Sniffing bread, saying some Russian stuff, taking the shot, eating the pickle and then saying some more Russian words - education worth the bill at half the price. Cha Cha had the beef stroganoff and I had some chicken dish. I did have the borscht too. Things Russia is known for - we were Russian for about an hour or so. They also had some really good Russian rye bread - I love dark rye.

On the walk to the car we passed Garrett's Popcorn and went in to take home some Chicago Mix for Fabio. Chicago Mix, in case you are unfamiliar, is a 50/50 combination of cheese popcorn and carmel corn. The first time I heard of this combination I thought whoever thought of it was mad but they were a mad genius as it turns out. Maybe it was the vodka talking but I tipped the dude who rang us up. I just gave him a buck. I actually tip people who don't normally get tipped, as well as the ones that do, quite often. When we got home we opened the bag from Garrett's and instead of the one medium size bag of Chicago Mix that I had paid for were two medium bags of Chicago Mix. So, for me being nice and giving this young man one dollar he returned the favor and gave me a $6.00 bag of popcorn. Everybody is happy. I could tell he doesn't get tips too often because of the way he lit-up when I gave it to him. Do something nice for someone and maybe karma will hit you back. You have to do it just to do it though - don't expect anything but the feeling that you appreciated someone and maybe helped someone who needs a buck more than you do.

When we got to the show I had dropped Cha Cha at the door of Bank of America Theater and went and parked the car. The parking garage I ended-up finding that had spaces was about six blocks away next to the Union League Club of Chicago where Cha Cha and MADYM and I stayed about a year ago or so when we went to a wedding there. I got pretty inebriated that night (if you heard me interview Telly Savalas' nephew who was the inspiration for George Clooney's character in the film Up in the Air on the podcast back then you remember how hammered I was) and didn't realize how close we were to things. We were right across from Daley Plaza. Literally, right across the street. We even walked the streets of Chicago that night so I could talk to every stranger in town acting like I was running for mayor and I did not see any of this stuff or maybe it was just blurry and I didn't recognize it. It's good I didn't because I may have gone Joliet Jake on Daley Plaza had I realized. Remember the beginning of the story where I said we stayed the night - I did not drive in that condition! I am a responsible, happy drunk. I never understood people who get violent when they get drunk. They say that alcohol magnifies your personality so I suppose me becoming a happier more loving goof makes sense.

Parking for about four hours was $32.00. I see why people take the train if they work in the city; that would sure add-up if you worked five days a week 52-weeks a year. In the long run it may even be cheaper to rent a small apartment in Chicago rather than drive and park.

Wow, very windy blog today. See what you get by spending the day in the windy city for a few hours? All-in-all it was a great date with my best girl. I would not be surprised if we see this musical again and maybe repeat the other steps of the day too. I don't know why I added "all-in-all" because that kind of makes it sound like there were bad parts. I guess forgetting the tickets and having to turn back to get them was kind of a hiccup but when we got toward the city after getting the tickets there was a couple of accidents on "The Congress" (the road we take to the city turns into Congress Street) that if we had been 15 minutes earlier may have been in. Always look on the bright side of life (I guess that is Spamalot). Spamalot was the last musical we saw twice - The Book of Mormon is better in case you need to decide between the two.

I am sorry for the length (not the first time I have said that) but I apparently had a lot on my mind. Thanks for stopping by and thank you for reading and thank you for listening (to the podcast). So, thank you, thank you, thank you. Have a great rest of your day and night and whatever tomorrow I miss telling you to do the same. TTT?...MITM (превосходить  - that's probably Russian for out). TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment