Wednesday, October 24, 2012

# Gossip

How do YOU pronounce it?
When did the "pound sign" (#) become the "hashtag?" I am old-school and I will continue to call it the pound sign. This is how we lose our innocence people; it all starts with seemingly insignificant changes that kill our history. I will also accept "number sign" but will not accept "hashtag." Now I go to check and see the history of the # and in Commonwealth England it is called the hash. I guess the "hash"or "hashtag" is actually the original name and we changed it here and now, it seems we are making amends and changing it back? It seems like it has something to do with the different currencies between us and our motherland. They have the pound and we have hash.

I am sick as heck. We recorded Dirty Laundry Podcast last night and you'll hear what I am talking about later today when I get the show up. I have a lot on my plate today but will get it edited and posted sometime today.

I wrote "sick as heck" there and it made me think of something that has been bugging me for a couple of weeks and have been meaning to blog about it but haven't found much time to blog in the last week. How can something be "cold as Hell?" or "smart as shit?" When did feces and Hell become the things that we measure stuff by? Even if it is the complete opposite? Hell is not cold. We also say "hot as Hell" but that one makes sense. "Smells like shit" works too. "Dumb as shit" would probably work but fecal matter isn't smart.

The World Series is going to be boring this year. Yes, I say that mainly because my favorite team (St. Louis Cardinals) got as close as they possibly could without being in the game. The Detroit Tigers and the San Francisco Giants both have boring colors. The same boring colors. Black and orange. Maybe this was planned out because those are typically Halloween colors?

I heard a couple of days ago that Jackie Chan died of a heart attack. I never heard it on the news and I never believe these claims anymore because for some reason people think it's fun to fake death reports. I have not been able to confirm or deny his death because they will not accept my calls but I believe it to be a hoax. By all indications I believe Chan is still alive. I am starting to think that maybe celebs hire P.R. firms to circulate fake death reports to generate publicity. I have never mentioned Jackie Chan on the blog before but here I am making you think of Jackie Chan. I think that I may, one of these days, promote the blog or the podcast with a fake report of my death. Many people believe things like this are bad luck but it has never worked for me winning the lottery so why would it work for faking my death? If it did that would be even cooler. Other than steering our attentions to these supposed dead people what other purpose could it serve? Maybe it's just like a computer virus. People just want to see if they can make it happen.

I think I had mentioned that our subdivision has a neighborhood watch now and we also have a Facebook page. I think I liked it better when we had neither. All I hear about now are rumors and crappy things going on in my neighborhood. People having giant inflatable Halloween decorations stolen, cars filled with people parking in the back of the neighborhood in the MIDDLE of the night, mean bus drivers, somebody not mowing their lawns properly... I am not a bury your head in the sand kinda guy but I am also not a fear-mongering kinda guy. It's ironic that I didn't hear about any of this stuff until they started the neighborhood watch. Maybe that makes it more of a challenge or adrenaline rush for hooligans (that's a good old word we don't use enough anymore). The internet has spawned a whole new world of Gladys Kravitz and Clara Edwards. I like the internet in so many ways but I think I dislike it for almost as many ways.

I need to go downstairs and make a spot of tea for my throat (with honey and lemon) and see about something for my stuffed-up head. I am happy this is my Sunday. I have all day today and tonight and all day tomorrow to try to get a little bit better before I have to go back to work. I think I pushed myself a lot more than I should have last week but, as you know, we all do what we have to do. I worked the last two days sick and will probably have passed my ailment to some of my co-workers but if I don't go to work my co-workers have to pick up my slack. It's quite a quandary, huh? In my work I am also around literally hundreds of people every shift and some of them are sick. How come doctors are never sick? Because they write prescriptions...that's why. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by. Remember if you hear or read of my death later today when the podcast goes up it is probably a hoax. Probably. TTTT (from the afterlife)...MITM (out to the great beyond). TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment