Monday, May 30, 2016

Happy Memorial Blog

I didn't think I would write today because I feel like poop. But, if military men and women can put their lives at risk 24/7 for you and I perhaps I can fight through a sore throat and a cough for 30 minutes or so to figure out what to write about and then write something.

Cha Cha and I rented the movie Trumbo from Redbox the other night. I have always been a fan of Dalton Trumbo's work and, with Bryan Cranston playing him, it was even an easier sell. It was a really good movie. I am not sure if I wrote about it here but I also watched the HBO original film All The Way a week ago or so. It is about Lyndon Johnson's presidency and the things he was faced-with following the assassination of JFK. I suppose his greatest thing was to get the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1968 passed. He appointed Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court (first African American justice). He signed the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and the Higher Education Act to improve funding for schools. He did many things to try to battle poverty in America. Was at the helm during the Apollo 8 program (first manned space flight), signed the Immigration Act of 1965, increased our involvement in Vietnam ... He did many great things and some not so great, as everyone who has ever lived has done. Fortunately, most of us are not in the public spotlight with our foibles. I recommend Trumbo greatly and All The Way goodly. Cranston has come a long way since Malcolm In The Middle though he was awesome in that show too. I just looked and he has eight films in post-production right now. I am curious about The Untouchables - he is supposed to play Al Capone. I hope he makes an appearance as Walter White in Better Call Saul before the series ends. I think it would be cool to even see Jessie Pinkman (Aaron Paul). My college radio station (WIDB) co-worker, Bob Odenkirk, says it will not happen but I don't believe him - IT WILL HAPPEN!
I think I'd like to go back to D.C. again (been 3 or 4 times)
It is Memorial Day here in the U.S. and A.. It is nice that we have days like this to pay respect to the memories of the peoplewho have given their service and lives to us so we can have many of the freedoms that have been fought-for by these people. I will not bore you with the story about how I was sworn into the U.S. Army as a military police officer until fate changed my path so I could meet Cha Cha and we could create two wonderful humans to carry-on after we are gone. There is always a silver lining but this was an easy lining to find; they are not always that easy. I consider the day of that path-change as one of the greatest days of my life in retrospect.

I like days like today. Cha Cha is off of work and we are both at home and getting paid to be here. We went out yesterday and bought a whole bunch of plants and flowers and a bunch of mulch. Our yard already looks like a botanical garden because of her green phalanges (not only her thumbs). She did some planting yesterday while I did the mowing. There is more planting and mulching that needs to be done so I am sure that is on the docket for today. I think she is spreading some mulch right now actually.

Maybe it is just the haircut?
I am kind of worried that I will not have lost the ONE pound I need to lose tomorrow to make the 50-pounds-lost mark. It will happen and, hopefully, it will be this week. If not, I will continue on my journey. I would like to lose another 30 or so so I can look like Mr. Potato Head as Al Sharpton does now. He probably wouldn't looks so weird if we didn't remember seeing him as heavy. I don't think I saw him while he was losing the weight so, seeing the beginning and then the final result makes the contrast stark.

Okay, I am gonna take some medicine for this cold that is trying to take over my body and then go out and haul some mulch around. Thank you for stopping by and thank you to everyone who has served our country so we could have our own yards to mulch. Have a great day and, most likely, I will blog tomorrow. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment