Friday, May 16, 2014

Same As It Ever Was, Same As It Ever Was

This is a commuper ossiver not a mortor vehcycle
I am writing this last night. It is really tonight but, when you read this, it will be written last night. I have decided that I am very glad that I am a happy drunk. I don't drink to the point of getting drunk too often any more but, when I do, I make sure I am not driving and I remain happy. Does drinking too much alcohol just accentuate our true characters? I cannot believe I could even spell accentuate in this state. When I say "this state" I am not referring to Illinois because that is a given. I am really glad that Greg was driving. If he hadn't been I wouldn't have been blogging the way I am blogging right now. Where in the Hell is the remote? Never mind, it was in the laundry basket with my clean clothes. Situation averted.

Wow, I don't even remember writing that last paragraph. It is now tomorrow morning (this morning) and maybe I didn't write it? I must have really done something else odd too last night because when I woke up this morning and looked out the window it was snowing. It has slowed down but it is still snowing now. This sure seems like my house. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was. I'm really thirsty too.

A few days ago, when it seemed like Spring was finally going to show-up to work, I set the thermostat on "auto" at 72 degrees to keep the house cool. The thermostat was left that way and this morning the furnace had kicked on to warm the house up to 72 degrees. Talk about perspective. 72 can be heating or cooling. I wonder why I always set it at 72? I think it may be because when I was a yute my Fox Valley Raiders uniform number was 72. They sure ingrained that in my melon didn't they? I expect a tornado in the house within the week when the fronts finally converge. It is now one hour later and it is still snowing. When I first saw it I figured it was one of those weird things and it would pass. Glad I didn't put the snow shovels away yet.
Why 72 I wonder?

I take notes in a little book constantly. Most of them are ideas for Dirty Laundry Podcast and this blog. Some are cures to supposedly incurable diseases but, I seldom read them again. I think I should start using these notes. Why do I write them so as not to forget them and then forget to use them? They always seem better when you first think about them and then, when you read them again later, you decide that there is a reason that you only wrote them down in that little book.

Here's one - Back in the good old days people would use "you know" all the time. It was like they didn't want to just end a sentence where it should end, you know? Maybe it was away to keep the other person engaged, you know? You know, to make sure they're still listening, you know? Thankfully that one ran it's course but, the new "you know" is "I mean." I mean people say that one all of the time now. Yes, if you say something I pretty much assume you mean it or you would either not have said it or would have concluded with a "just kidding." Mean what you say and say what you mean but don't say "I mean." Know what I mean?

Here's another one - I think it is interesting when something occurs that changes things greatly and somebody will say something like, "I feel like I am the puppet master that made all that happen." Like they were pulling other people's strings to get them to make whatever the "puppet master" wanted all along. From everything I have ever known about puppets (the sock type, the Marionette type, Bunraku, Muppets, finger puppets, shadow puppets, ventriloquist dummies...) the puppeteer usually doesn't want to be known, seen or have his/her lips been seen moving. Why, if you were really the puppet master, would you want yourself revealed? Maybe you're the puppet who has been played by the real puppet master to think you're puppet master so the puppet master can live to master puppets again one day hmmmmm?
This kinda debunks my theory... or does it?
For MIDDLE-aged people who grew-up in the Chicagoland area - remember when WGN was like a comfort-thing? You could always count on the Cubs or the White Sox playing on a summer day. Ray Raynor, Garfield Goose, Frasier Thomas, Family Classics, Bozo's Circus, Phil Donahue, Blackhawks, B.J. and Dirty Dragon, Bulls... A side note - do you know where the call letters WGN came from? The Chicago Tribune's slogan at the time they started WGN was "World's Greatest Newspaper" (W.G.N.). WGN was great "back in my day." Now, it is even difficult to find the Cubs playing on WGN anymore sometimes. They are over on Chicago Sportsnet. I don't hear any puppet master (speaking of Garfield Goose and Cuddley Duddley) taking credit for this debacle. The other night the Cubs played well into my shift at work and I was excited at the chance to listen to them play the Cardinals on WGN (radio) while working but they weren't there. WGN Radio not playing the Cubs? A sign of the Apocalypse? I finally found them at 88.3 or 88.7 FM. What a pain. FM stations, in the MIDDLE of the night, fade in and out as they cross-over frequencies. I realize that WGN is a business and they need to make money but, have you seen some of the crap shows they have on there? Somebody must like them because ratings and advertisers rule the industry. I guess I will just have to go back to grilled cheese sandwiches and soup. Sounds good for a good-old Wintry Spring day. So does Cancun (perhaps soon)

It seems that most of the notes in my book are like - "back in my day..." kind of things. I may be graduating from Matt In The Middle to Matt In The Pasture soon. I think that is way too much for today. It's time to wrap-up. I have been writing this for about three hours (not counting the paragraph I wrote sometime last night) and have been side-tracked many, many times. Have a great day. I may blog tomorrow depending on whether/weather the mood strikes me. TTTT?..MITM (out to go Caroling) Fa La La La La La La Ta Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment