Monday, November 11, 2013

The Mario Mendoza of Blogs!

A HUGE part of baseball history
Yesterday I went bowling for the first time in about twenty-something years. I was not really looking forward to it because, like golf, I am pretty sure that I am already as good at it as I will ever be. I am not terrible either but, I am at the very best, on the bottom rung of being good and, that rung has a crack in it. I am at The Mendoza Line I guess (if you know baseball that makes sense to you). Yesterday's bowling, like whenever I have ever done it, was more about being with the people than the sport. I liked the people I was with. Golf has pretty much always been that way for me too. Maybe that's why I am just okay at both. I am competitive by nature, which is probably one of my greatest character flaws among several, but I know it and try to keep it in-check. I think I did pretty well with that yesterday. I was worried that I would not even break 100 but I got a 142 and, I think, 137. This was Fabio's first time bowling since he was about 5 so, he hadn't bowled in 11 years or so. I know that is less than me but, that was 75% of his life while mine was only about 40% of mine.

After I posted that photo of Mario Mendoza I thought how cool it would be to have him on Dirty Laundry Podcast. From everything I can ascertain he is somewhere in Mexico. If you know Mario Mendoza have him get in touch with me. I am a huge fan of his legacy.

Fabio was commenting today on how bad he bowled. It didn't bother him because he never bowls and doesn't really like it. He has played baseball, football, tennis and basketball but, doesn't really care much for bowling. I mentioned to him that maybe, because of his height, it is more difficult for him than it is for 5'9" twerps like me. The second game we bowled they put the four bowlers with the highest scores on one lane/alley and the four lowest scoring bowlers on the other. Fabio further proved my thought by pointed-out to me that the four lowest scores from the first game were the tallest four people. Coincidence? I don't think so. The law firm of Helser & Helser rests its case your honor! Incidentally, I was right at the Mendoza Line as far as height goes. Matt in the Mendoza!

Today is Veteran's Day in the U.S. and A. Our schools in town are closed because we appreciate our women, men and animals who keep us safe but I took Fabio today to get his sports physical (last year's expires next month) and noticed there were quite a few schools that were open today. Commies! Is that even a thing anymore? Commies? I have several friends that are veterans and I am thankful for them all. I should be a veteran too but, after I was sworn in, I got my big toe chopped off working at my high school job and, they didn't want me anymore. They probably had me slated for the Army Bowling Team and knew this would always keep me as a sub-200 bowler! I was slated to go to Ft. McClellan, Alabama after high school to be a military police officer. I wonder how different my life would have been. I am happy it turned-out the way it did. Funny though because I am working somewhere similar to where I would have worked had that lane stayed open. There are many things that are in my life now that I would have given all my toes to have so I am pretty lucky for that M.I.A. toe!

I have to get another load of laundry going. We also have to get the other kind of laundry recorded today. I can get some prep done while my co-host is working (COMMIE!). Not to rub it in but this is my Sunday. Thanks a lot for stopping in and for your service if you are a veteran or any other form of public servant. For that MATTer most all of us provide a service to people somewhere in society so thank you to you too wherever you are in the world. TTTT (when the next podcast will probably be ready)...MITM (out).

I just caught our dog chewing on glass - he must have been Audie Murphy in a former life. TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment