Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Our Planet Needs Our Support!

While I was visiting my mom yesterday the weather decided to cooperate (meaning getting above the freezing mark) so, when I got home, I could easily shovel-away the muck (the artist formerly known as ice) that was still on the driveway. I was wearing my dress pants, Italian shoes and trench coat so I must have looked like a dolt. Better to look doltish than be doltish. A dolt would have shoveled better while his hands and feet were freezing off and had it done already. I was playing the global warming card.

Jill and I have been talking about global warming a lot over the past few weeks and we have agreed that the name should be changed so people might not use the argument that, "if there's global warming why isn't it warmer?" Global warming simply is the planet having tremendous mood swings or temper tantrums for us treating her so poorly for so long. Coincidentally, Pope Francis came out yesterday and said that "global warming is consequence of human activity." I am not a religious person but I have liked almost every Pope that I can recall. They are great thinkers with big hearts and they care about all living beings. What would the Pope have to gain by making something like this up with our President tweeting things like: "In the East, it could be the COLDEST New Year's Eve on record. Perhaps we could use a little bit of that good old GLOBAL WARMING that our Country, but not other counties, was going to pay TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS to protect against. Bundle up!" Maybe we should simply call it Drastic Climate Change? Or how about the good old Greenhouse Effect?

I wrote those previous two paragraph last night and now it is this morning. This cold/flu that my body is trying to fight is still lingering. All of the "so called" experts are saying this is going to be a terrible flu season this winter and the strain that is coming is going to be terrible. I can still get a free flu shot at work but I think it is ridiculous to put the flu in my body. I have only had a flu shot once in my life and, if my old memory serves, that is the year that I was the sickest in my life. I remember not being able to get out of bed and my mother-in-law staying with me during the day so she could call the mortician if needed. Happily, for me at least, I did not die that day back in the early 1990's. It's already 11:36 and I am still in my pajamas. Unless, when Jill gets home from work and wants to go out for dinner, I am already ready for bed. I probably will need to go to the store anyway and get stuff for my lunches for work this week. DO you think Hugh Hefner went to the grocery store in his pajamas? If so, I am sure he wore a robe. What am I saying? I doubt that Hugh Hefner ever even saw the inside of a supermarket.
The only known photo of Hef and I together
I suppose it is nice that North and South Korea are speaking again. It is awkward when neighbors do not get along. I watched a bit on the news of the delegates from North and South Korea walking into a boardroom-looking place and every one of them was dressed almost exactly the same. I suppose the one nice thing that the newest Presidential administration has done is to get long-time enemies to come together to talk. Maybe that will end-up becoming a bad thing with the whole nuclear capabilities thing?

Now people are talking about Oprah Winfrey running for President in 2020. She is saying that she will not run for President but 2020 is a few years away and a lot of things can happen in two years. I have never really been a big Oprah fan but I now she does a lot of good things for an awful lot of people. And, with that in mind considering of the person she would probably be running against, she would have my vote. That is predicated, however, on who she is running against. I will have a couple of years to consider my options.

Today I think I am going to begin reading the book that Chloe and Andy gave me for Christmas  - Lincoln by Gore Vidal. I find it curious, for some reason, that Vidal's name is larger than Lincoln's on the cover. Vidal was a very smart man and I am a big fan of Lincoln's so, win-win. I think I have to be a fan of Abe since I live in Illinois - "the land of Lincoln." I see Honest Abe's face almost every day because people don't take the time to pick-up pennies that they drop. I am happy to pick them up. "Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck." Not only does it make me wealthier but I get some stretching at the same time. For most of my life I have considered to be pretty lucky and now it all makes cents!

I keep getting distracted so I should probably wrap this up and get some things done around here. That third load of laundry isn't going to start itself. It is back to work tomorrow so I am unsure whether I will write tomorrow or not. I hope you have a fabulous rest of today and until I blog again. As always, I thank you for stopping in and I wish you nice weather until then. That goes especially to the people on the right and left coasts of The U.S and A. TTT?...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment