Monday, January 8, 2018

Mark Me Down For #METOO!

Video records? Man, I am old!
Today I am blogging just to hear myself type and pretend someone might be listening. It is already 16:08 and I am just getting around to blogging because I have had a pretty full day. I started the day by driving to visit with my mom (and dad because he was up there too) in the hospital in La Grange (Illinois). She was taken there from the nursing home that she is staying in because she had a urinary tract infection, pneumonia and a few other things. She now weighs just a bit over 80 pounds. She was, apparently, having a problem swallowing food and she was collecting it in her throat/esophageal airway. Every time I hear the words "esophageal airway" I think of the television show Emergency from the mid to late 1970's. She is doing okay but, though I did not talk this way to my dad, I believe her body and organs are slowly shutting down. It made me sad just typing that last sentence. I will be surprised if she will make it to 2019. I am usually wrong about many things and I hope I am continuing that streak now.

A lot of the time I was there she was talking to people that weren't there and answering questions that weren't being asked. When I got there my dad asked her, do you know who this is?" She responded, "of course, it's Chloe (my wonderful daughter)." I was flattered. One of the previous times I saw her she said that I was "Rick." My Uncle Rick is her brother. I have to say that Uncle Rick and Chloe are both wonderful human beings and I feel very complimented to be thought of, by her, in that same way. I hope I can live up to that level.

While my mom slept off-and-on my dad talked about many things; one of the things that we spoke about was politics. We are magnetic polar opposites on most political things. We managed to find a common ground and we both agree that politicians, by and large, do not care about us (the constituents - the "We" in "We The People"). Though I am his son we have many different backgrounds and have each seen many historical things differently as we both have muddled our ways to where we are today. Just because people disagree does not mean that they cannot be close. Mostly, I guess that is why people just talk about the weather sometimes?

One thing that cracked me up (and I kept a poker face on this one) was how he would talk about "what way did you come?" He talked about different ways to get there many times. I told him that I just programmed it into the JEEP and she told me. I often use that because she knows the traffic problems and such ahead and will reroute me. I wish I could remember which comic did that bit. A little help here?

One more day off of work before it's back to the grind. I enjoy my job so I don't mind so much.
 Black is my second favorite color (the presence of all colors) 

Last night The Golden Globe Awards were held in Beverly Hills - "swimming pools, movie stars". They are the awards that let the Hollywood Foreign Press Association decide who we should love the most. I did not watch it as I find award shows pretty stupid. These people that much of the world adores get more praise for doing their jobs. Why can't we have awards shows for who is the best plumber or the best dress maker...? I watched the news this morning (on Roku) and I was impressed that all (all that I saw) of the attendees wore black to show their support for the  #METOO! (that is a link) movement to condemn sexual harassment and the like in Hollywood (and every other workplace). There was some talk that none of the male award winners mentioned the Me Too movement while they were on the stage. I did not know that until today because I did not watch the show but I would have said something but I did not and never will receive one of those stupid statues that really mean nothing. Firefighters and hospital workers and trash collectors and mail carriers and you and I are the real heroes. People who fight the daily grind deserve the accolades.

Oddly (to me anyway), Every Breath You Take by The Police (click the song title if you wanna listen) just came on Pandora. The song, according to Gordon Matthew Sumner (Sting), is about an obsessive stalker. I know people who used that as their wedding song because it does sound like a love song. It is a fantastic song but, in it's real context, it is also very disturbing. Sting has said, "I think it's a nasty little song, really rather evil. It's about jealousy and surveillance and ownership." The Police are (or is) my favorite band of all time. So, you can mark that on your Matt Fun Facts Bingo Cards if you have that.

I am going to end now and I will have more time to think of something worth-while to write tomorrow or, I could just write a hodge podge of the usual blogging stuff. Thank you for coming by. I hope to see you here again tomorrow/ TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment