Thursday, July 11, 2013

Those Aren't Pillows!

Actual security photo of us 
Yesterday was sure a very full day. My buddy Greg and I went to Chicago and most of it made Planes, Trains and Automobiles look like a training video. We started at Two Brothers Roundhouse in Aurora. It used to be Walter Payton's Roundhouse but the Payton family pulled out awhile ago. We had lunch and had a couple of beers to start off our journey. We both had the fish tacos which were really good. One thing that I have never seen on fish tacos before and, I have had lots of fish tacos, were shredded radishes. I like radishes but I prefer cabbage on my fish tacos. The radishes weren't bad but red cabbage is better in this venue I feel. So, we got done with lunch and drove over to the train station. We were pushing the time a bit so I dropped Greg at the station so he could get the train tickets and I drove to the back of the parking lot to get one of the last parking spots in the lot. Greg called me and told me to bet the Cubs tickets he had left in the car. I heard him say "they are in the door." I parked and got the ticket to display on the dashboard and grabbed the tickets out of the door. It seemed like we were really pushing it so I ran the nearly quarter mile to the train. I made it and met Greg at the train. I handed him the tickets and he said "what are these?" We looked at the papers and they were orders for tests that my doctor had given me in November. I don't take his stupid useless tests because I know they just like soaking money out of me and my insurance company. So, we walked back to the car to get the papers that were near the center council in the 4Runner. Greg suggested maybe we drive to Naperville to catch up with the train. But, we decided to try to make it back to the train on a long shot. So we started jogging back to the train as all of the workers were getting on the train. One of the workers saw us chugging back and started yelling words of encouragement and singing the theme to Rocky. His inspiration helped us get onto the train. I felt good that he likened us more to Rocky and not to Forest Gump.

We got the whole train ride from Aurora to Union Station in Chicago to cool down for the next leg of our adventure.

We arrived in Chicago and wandered kind of aimlessly in the small city of Chicago to try to get to the El / Red Line (elevated train). We thought we knew where we were going but we got almost to the lake (Lake Michigan) before we decided that we were thirsty. What do you know - Miller's Pub on Wabash. We had a couple of beers there and decided to try to get to the Red Line (the thin red line) and head to Wrigleyville. We decided to use the GPS on my phone to get to the Red Line and found that were only about two blocks from it when he first got off of the train. Luckily I had some shower curtain rings to sell to keep funding our escapades. We finally got to Wrigley Field and realized how thirsty we were so we went to The Cubby Bear and had a few and then headed over to Slugger's for a couple more. I guess the game had already started because it was on the television in the bar. We missed the Angels scoring five runs in the first inning. We finally went to the game and grabbed the first seats we could find - it was a Wednesday night game so there were plenty of seats close that were vacant. We saw a lot of action (including a Pujols home run - I think Josh Hamilton had two or three dingers too). The final score ended up 13 -2. I wonder if I had the Angels in the thirteen run pool. My Cardinals are in town tonight. I hope the Cubs' bats are still tired.

So, we left the game early after arriving late because we were thirsty. By the way Greg - the beer that I bought you while you were in the washroom was an Old Style (full disclosure is important for future trust). Oh, I forgot - we (I will take half of the blame because we are a team) spilled a lady's $15 triple shot of Captain Morgan and Coke. That was after we stole her and her husband's seats though we gave them to them right when they arrived . Greg offered to buy her another one but she refused. I brought the souvenir cup home as a trophy to mount on my wall.

There is so much more to write even though this seems like a lot already. I am going to finish for today because you don't stop by here to read an encyclopedia. I will just make this a cliff-hanger so you will come back tomorrow to read the exciting conclusion of a hero, his sidekick (I am the sidekick) and their bumbling adventures.... stay tuned.

Also, we recorded the new Dirty Laundry Podcast and I have to get it edited but I have been too busy defiling Chicago and most of the western suburbs. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment