Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Earth Seems Angry

Hello my friend. I hope this week finds you well. I am worried about the people of Texas and Florida with the third hurricane bashing a few of our country's southern states. I cannot help but think of the University of Miami and their mascot being Sebastian the Ibis but them being called the Miami Hurricanes. I wonder if they will rethink being called The Hurricanes (Canes) after what has been going on. Perhaps I am too politically correct at times. Actually, I am less than politically correct more time than not. I guess, like most things in someone who calls himself Matt In The Middle, I deal with things on a case-by-case basis. Now I have The Scorpion's song "Rock Me Like a Hurricane" stuck in my head. I saw them in concert back in my college days - I was a big fan. Anyway, I hope things calm down in the southern coastal states of the country that I have called home for most of my life. 

Our fearless leader (45) has been very quiet this week. Is this his calm before another Twitter storm? Even he knows not to fool with Mother Nature.

Last night Cha Cha and I went to Chicago to a White Sox game with The Lost Sock and The Found Sock. I never really thought about the link between their nicknames from the Dirty Laundry Podcast days and them being such big Chicago White Sox fans. We had a very nice time having dinner near the ballpark and then the game. I had no idea that the Sox played at a place called Guaranteed Rate Field. I still thought their stadium was called U.S. Cellular Field though I still prefer Comiskey Park. I know sponsorships are everything in many sports. My favorite baseball team has played in Busch Stadium, named for Anheiser Busch, ever since I can remember. It is actually called Busch Memorial Stadium for the Augustus Busch family that started the brewery that made/makes: Budweiser, Busch Beer, Bud Lite, Michelob, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Johnny Appleseed, Landshark... Wrigley Field (where The Chicago Cubs play) has been called that since 1927 when William Wrigley (yes, the chewing gum magnate) bought the team. Wrigley was originally called Weeghman Park named for the property owner Charles Weeghman. I guess sponsorships have been part of sports forever. The oldest MLB park is Fenway Park (Boston Red Sox) in Boston when the Sox have called home since the beginning in 1911. The name Fenway comes from the name of the land that the park sits on - called "The Fens." So, the oldest ballpark is not like a NASCAR racing machine with sponsor stickers all over it. I am positive that at  least 60% of my info in this paragraph is accurate. 

I am watching The Green Bay Packers playing The Seattle Seahawks while I write this. I am not as much of a football fan as I used to be. I still call The Miami Dolphins my favorite team. I have been a fan of theirs since I was about five years old. I think it all started simply because I liked dolphins. I still have a Dolphins' helmet from when I was about nine years old in 1972. It is on a shelf down in our workout room. That's the helmet there without all of the extra face masking that helmets have these days. Maybe that is part of the cause of my neurological problems?

Speaking of that, very loosely, I have a doctors' (general practitioner) appointment tomorrow. It is just a yearly check-up that they called for me to have. I guess somebody needs a new 9-iron or something. Why do we HAVE TO go see the doctor every year? I seem to being okay and I could use the money that I will have to pay for the appointment for other things. Like things that are not healthy for me. I realize my insurance pays for most of that but I pay for that insurance too. I have a list of things to talk to him about as long as he has me up on the rack. I am going to try for some medical marijuana or something. I am hoping that something like that might help me sleep longer than four hours per night. After I am done there in Batavia I am going to continue east to visit my mom in Winfield. I have not been to see her in a while. I always wonder what I will encounter when visiting her. I will stop and get her some flowers on the way. I hope she is having one of her good days. 
I am gonna stop now because somebody here wants to go over and get some ice cream. I need to put on a few pounds before tomorrow so the doctor has something else to give me the business about so I am game. Speaking of that, last night at the restaurant we went to (Turtle's Bar & Grill) I had Buffalo chicken egg rolls. I guessed on capitalizing because Buffalo food items are named for the city of Buffalo, New York. I do not want to offend the people of New York. I am going to try to make them in coming weeks. If I can figure them out I will share the recipe with you. And you know - I WILL FIGURE IT OUT! Actually, I think it will be easy.

Thanks a lot for coming by. I hope some of what I wrote made sense. I will probably blog tomorrow after I get done running my errands. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. I am happy that I still have to weekend days after today. TTTT...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment