Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Martian Blog

I can tell winter is coming (not a Game of Throne's reference) because every two days or so I have to trim my finger nails.

Yesterday, while I was getting dressed after my workout and shower, I turned the television and started watching a movie that I recorded called Martian Child. There was a line by a little girl named Esther in the movie that made me think of yesterday's blog. She said, "Jesus is important but other religions are just as relevant." I do agree with that statement. I had seen parts of this movie while channel surfing a few days ago and I was intrigued enough to record the next showing. It is from 2007 but I had never heard of it. I think it is cool that John Cusack's character's sister in the film is his real sister, Joan Cusack. Oliver Platt is in the movie too and I have always liked him. I am easily convinced that things are cool. Do Martians have fingernails? I am also easily too curious. The movie is very touching and good. I suppose real movie reviewers would call it heart-warming.

The Reverend Jesse Jackson is in my town today to celebrate the opening of Quilts and Human Rights. It is a traveling exhibit focusing on social justice and human rights issues. It opened in 2008 at Michigan State University. After the exhibit closed there it became a traveling exhibit. It will be here at Northern Illinois University in the Pick Museum of Anthropology inside of Cole Hall on campus. It is arranged on the theme of The United Nations. The reason it is here now is, partially, to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Cole Hall shooting on Valentines Day in 2008. Six people (including the shooter who took his own life) were killed and another 21 people survived with injuries (gunshot wounds, buckshot wounds and some injured just in escaping the scene). I was not a member of the Police Department there yet but I would, later, work with many of the officers that were first on the scene and instrumental in making sure the injuries were not worse. The reason Rev. Jackson is involved with the exhibit is that the curator at NIU, in searching for funding to get the exhibit here in town, unknowingly sought financial assistance from Jackson's goddaughter's Social Sewing Academy which focuses on "empowering young adults to use their experiences and intelligence and creativity to see their worlds and how they see their problems" according to the organizations' website. I will definitely get over to see the exhibit before it leaves town
I guess I misunderstood. I thought it would be here until VD?

Tomorrow is back to work day. I am only working three days this week because I got Saturday off to go see the Chicago White Sox play the San Francisco Giants. Cha Cha's brother and sister-in-law (my brother-in-law and sister-in-law) have season tickets and they asked us to go. I cannot believe they couldn't get somebody better than us to go unless nobody else wants to see the White Sox (last place in the American League Central and already eliminated for any play-off hopes) play the Giants (last place in the National League West and already eliminated from the playoffs). I am guessing we may even get to watch the game from the announcers' booth or one of the dugouts. After looking at it closer - the White Sox and the Giants are the second and third worst teams in all of the Major Leagues right now. The only team worse is the Philadelphia Phillies. Happily, the St. Louis Cardinals are in third place and only five games out of first place. It will be a tough battle because the Chicago Cubs and the Milwaukee Brewers are both playing great baseball but that is what sports are all about. I still have hope for my Redbirds. I wonder if the White Sox will have a big to do in 2019 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the 1919 Black Sox scandal? I wold if I were them. You cannot change history so you may as well embrace it.

Cha Cha and I went out for breakfast and shopping this morning. I like the days when she is home. When we got home Fabio was here so that was cool too. Had we known he was coming over we would have waited and ate with him. I think he was mainly here to do some laundry and look for his computer cable that he thought he had left here. The three of us scoured the house and it is not here. Now I am doing laundry. The circle of clothes!

I do not really have much more on my mind. I am sure that does not surprise you. I have a doctor's appointment next Monday and I seem to have a good list of things to discuss with him. They called me for my "yearly check-up." I guess Christmas is getting close and doctor's have families to buy gift for too I suppose. My neurologist mentioned something when I was leaving my last appointment with him that I will discuss with my GP. I am a little stiff from today's workout now that it is 14:27. I always feel that way but I do end up getting down into the basement and getting a lot more workout in than I think I will. It helps to have the television and the DVD player down there to help take the mind off of the pain and gain.

Okay, I am done. Thanks a lot for stopping by. I will probably not blog again until Sunday. I hope you have a great four days (and beyond). TTTSundayish...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment