Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Ob la dee ob la da life goes on blog!

 Yep, that's the herniated area 
I am going to begin by saying that I am exhausted and will not proofread this before I post today's blog. I know I may a have a lot of typos every day but I am expecting even more today so please, forgive me in advance.

So, as I had written that I was going to do in the blog one week ago today, I took my dad for his outpatient hernia surgery. I was lead to believe that my shift would consist of: going to visit another potential place for my mom to get 24-hour care at an adult care center or nursing home with mental health units, go to his surgery and then take him home and be done my about 16:30 or so. So, we went to a place called Alden Courts of Waterford Alzheimer's Assisted Living Residence in Aurora. It was a very nice place but they are all kind of the same to me after seeing so many over the last month or so on my "weekend" days or so. So, after that visit I took dad to his surgery. While he was in surgery I walked over to the hospital and had lunch and then walked back to the building where he was having his wrenched ankle or charlie horse (his name is Charlie, after all) or wish bone... fixed. I took my computer and phone and kept myself busyish. All of a sudden a very good friend of mine (John R) since I was about 10-years-old showed-up. He lives all the way up in Round Lake Beach and he came to the hospital just to see if, and how, he could help with anything. It was a great surprise and made the time so so much faster. He does this sort of thing all of the time with people he knows and goes very far to assist friends in need. I aspire to be as wonderful as he is.

My mom cannot be left alone at all so my dad has a team of nurses and such that watch my mom (rotating the helpers) when he has to do things away from the house like yesterday's surgery. She would have been a handful at his surgery. Anyway, we were expecting a call from Hillside Rehab and Care Center to let us know if they had a bed for her. I never received the call (kind of) on my cell phone so we assumed that they did not have room for her yet. When the surgery was done I went up and pulled the car up and listened to my voicemails and Hillside had called but it did not ring downstairs nor did it register because we were underground I imagine. Anyway, my dad called them back and they said we could bring her over. We went back to their house and prepared her bag and took her over. So. last night, she slept there in her new (hopefully temporary) residence. I will have more on her stay there last night in a moment.
Before I get too far into everything else, my dad and I were told that he could not be alone last night and he could not drive so that meant I had to spend the night over at their house (my house from the time I was in seventh grade until I went off to college) in my old bedroom. Of course, as I thought my shift would be over at 16:30ish, I did not have: a change of clothes, my toothbrush, deodorant, my medicine... But, being a good soldier I woke-up today and stunk, brushed my teeth with my finger with some toothpaste from a tube that was probably in that bathroom since 1976 and I put on the same clothes that I wore the previous day to go back to the same place where I had worn those clothes just about 12 hours prior... I usually have a baseball cap with me but, of course, on this day I did not have a hat. I wrote on Facebook yesterday that I need to pack a bug-out bag and I am seriously going to do that tonight or tomorrow after work. If the Apocalypse arrives I should be able to me immediately mobile to go underground with fresh, minty breath.

I guess I digressed a bit. So, we arrived to see my mom again this morning and we were told by: a few nurses, a doctor and mom's new roommate that she had a very eventful evening. Apparently, while everyone else was tick in their beds fast asleep she was wandering the halls going in-and-out of other people's rooms and just, probably, trying to figure-out where she was or where my dad was or looking for a bathroom or who knows what? We were told that she bit one person, threw a can of soda at another person and was very mischievous (for lack of a kinder word). I had told them to but one of those rails on her bed so she couldn't get out of bed at night without hesitance but, to the point when we left there a few hours ago, she still did not have that barrier. I hope they give her something stronger to help her sleep or she may get expelled. I am not sure what would happen with her being able to go other places once she made that kind of list. I had started to type the many names that  would call that list but I thought better of it and backspaced it away. Maybe I will use my bug-out bag pen and paper and do it when I am on the lamb like Dr. Richard Kimball. I hope that is not offensive to one-armed people.
 I'm a cotton-headed ninny muggins 

For today, I believe, that is the update. I return to work tomorrow and my dad has the emergency number at my work should something catastrophic happen and he needs to reach me. Last night was the first night he has gotten a decent night's sleep in a long time and, with all of his surgeries over the past year, he will only be able to handle so much. I must say that, even though I was only gone from my own bed for one night, I really missed it. I slept very poorly last night but that was mainly that I am allergic to cats and they house is a cat haven and the bed in my old room is exactly as it was in the 1970's. Mattresses don't last that long and, I know that is only a guest room and seldom gets used so I managed to survive roughing it in a very small way. I know there are thousands of people that would kill to have that room and that bed - first world problem I have.

Thanks for stopping by and letting me get a feeling of some small closure so I have more room when other things open-up though I hope things don't open for a week or so. I was gonna fix our fence today (damn cornfield winds) but those planes were postponed due to circumstance beyond my control. Perhaps next week? Maybe on Easter Sunday. I hope you have a great whatever you want or need to be great. Will blog again when I can. TTT?...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment