Monday, June 13, 2016

I Guess We Were Founded on Violence

I am so saddened by how The United States of America has not evolved from the times of the wild wild west. The recent shooting in Orlando further shows that we have so far to go. This shooting is being called the worst mass shooting in our country's history. I guess we area country founded and measured by violence since our ancestors came here and then killed the native people so they could have their lands and resources even though there was enough land and resources for all of them. Then, we had do fight over whether or not it was okay that we took ships to African nations and kidnap people away from their families and homes so they could be brought here to do the things we did not want to do for ourselves. There are so many one phrase thoughts I can mention and violence will immediately be thought of: Waco, Boston Marathon, Columbine, World Trade Center / 9-11, Oklahoma City... I don't even need to mention the many hate groups and organized crime groups that exist in this country solely to spread their hate and ignorance. There are even, so called, religious groups that commit unthinkable acts in the names of their religions - that seems even more absurd to me. "Thou shalt not kill" does not seem to have an addendum. I know people who are filled with thoughts that these principals and acts are acceptable. I cannot understand this type of feelings and beliefs. When will this stop? What is next? I can think of things that could be worse and I imagine they have been considered but I will keep them to myself in case they have not been considered. Sadly, this recent shooting has already turned into fodder for the upcoming / current Presidential race. I will not comment further on the political angle, however.

The third victim of this dreadful cold (or whatever virus this is) has been taken-down. Fabio started the bug in this house (he probably got it from someone at work) and then I had it for a good bad week and now Cha Cha is sick as a dog even though I have never seen a dog get a sick as humans (at least not with a flu or a cold.Canines and felines must have very different systems than we we. Now I am just a little sniffly and I have a slightly sore throat and I am still coughing quite a bit. Cha Cha definitely has it the worst so far. There are still a few other household members that this thing passes-over them though I prefer they don't kill a lamb and put sheep's blood on their door.
I am going to try to turn the corner in the blog and write about rosier things. Unless you are a Cubs' fan it is extincting that the Cardinals have won four games in a row; they have the longest current winning streak in the Majors. They are playing really well right now and I hope it stays that way. The Cubs sure look good this season (not surprisingly given all of their off-season moves). They deserve to have a good season and they have made a lot of changes over the years to change their philosophies to get to where they bare right now. Of course, I still want the Cards to win the division and the Series but that will never change.

Weigh-in day is tomorrow and I am not all that optimistic this week. I have not eaten a lot but, being run-down has made me less active than usual. I will see if I feel up to riding by 20-miles tomorrow and then I will decide whether to skip a week of weighing-in. I may even try to ride 10-15 miles later today and see where the barometer lies. It's been awhile since I walked to the library so perhaps that is an option? Well, it definitely is an option but is it a viable or desirable one? I like the library. That reminds me - I heard on the radio a week or two ago that we are getting a bookstore back in town. It seems incredible that a college town doesn't have a book store.

I am watching a film called Calvary while writing this. I recorded it awhile ago and am just now getting around to watching it - there are benefits to being ill I suppose. It is a pretty good movie staring Brendan Gleeson. He has been in several movies that I have really liked: Braveheart, Far and Away, Troy,  all of the Harry Potter movies (I think all of them?)... It is difficult not to like an Irish dude unless he is an IRA member (that is a throw-back to paragraph one).

I am plumb bloggered out. I think I may take some medicine and lie down for a bit. I am not sure if I will have a salad before I lie down or after I lie up. Thank you for stopping by; I like that you do. I hope you have a great remainder of your day and a better night. TTTT (most likely)...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment