Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Those are Sushi Mats?

I just learned that a new television show is coming this fall that I will never watch. It's called Young Sheldon. Yes, as I am sure you have surmised, it is based on one of the nut-jobs from The Big Bang Theory as a child. That made me start to think of the many characters that have ruined television shows, if those shows weren't bad already. Here are the ones that come to mind right away: All of the Big Bang Theory morons, Scrappy Doo, Urkel, Kimmy (Full House), Arnold Horshack, Screech, Rachel and Ross (Friends), The Great Gazoo, Joffrey, Pete Campbell, all three of the Two-and-a-Half Men, Cousin Oliver... I have a bachelor's degree in Communications/Radio-Television so, this has to be accurate. I am sure there are many characters from other shows that I have never seen or heard of that, most surely, could be listed also. I was on the fence about Mork from Ork (Happy Days and Mork and Mindy) but Robin Williams was pretty special (in many ways) so I gave him a pass. I just watched Good Morning Vietnam again last night so that may be a reason for my leniency also.

Now it is 12:33 and the lawn is mowed. I change-up the way I mow each week. One week I will go horizontally and the following week I usually go diagonally and then I will go angled and then I will go pinwheeled (start with the outer and work inward toward the center) and then I may go reverse pinwheel but today I went pinwheel for the the first three-quarters of the backyard and then I went reverse pinwheel for the last quarter so the grass would be blown outward rather than all gathering with the first three-quarters of the clippings. For the front yard I almost always go vertically because it is only about three or four feet wide and then, today, I did the rest of the hard horizontally.
Today I listened to the Cat Stevens Pandora station; that is one of my favorites. I heard: Croce, of course, and The Beatles (ironic since I saw those Asian beetles this morning - they are gone now), The Eagles, James Taylor, Loggins & Messina, Simon & Garfunkel, The Temptations (Ain't Proud To Beg), The Mamas and The Papas (since I had already written the first paragraph of the blog before mowing I thought about Mackenzie Philips and One Day at a Time), Buffalo Springfield, John Fogerty, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, George Harrison, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Dylan... I bet you get the gist. If we had a bigger yard or I was slower I suppose I would have gotten some Gordon Lightfoot or Harry Chapin or Dan Foldelberg or Grand Funk Railroad... I had Spotify for awhile but I did not care for it as much as Pandora so, after about a week or two I deleted it. Some people love it but, maybe since I have had Pandora for a long time and first, maybe I am just accustomed and partial to it. I don't know why I go back and italicize words that are companies and such (like Pandora and Spotify and show titles...). I suppose it is my journalism and editing background and experience and it is just stuck in my pumpkin head?

Since tomorrow is my Monday today is laundry day. I also have to do a bit of grocery shopping. I have chicken breasts, which is why I cannot fly, and I have to decide how I will prepare them and/or what I need to get at the store. I know we need a bag of ice for sure. Maybe fajitas? Maybe chicken parm? Dumplings? I think I have decided - caprese chicken?

It is now 15:30 and I have done some grocery shopping. I ended-up having to go to three stores to find fresh basil. What the Helser is that about? Schnuck's only that that paste junk. Jewel only had the past junk too but I got Cha Cha's watermelon there. Then I went to Hy-Vee and they had fresh basil. I also got some sushi for m lunch as Hy-Vee has a sushi bar and a buffet inside of their store. I brought the sushi  home and just got done eating it. They were a bit chintzy with the wasabi so I asked for some more. They gave it to me readily and the guy said most people don't like that much spiciness. I suppose I qualify as "not most people." While I was shopping at Hy-Vee they announced over the speaker that there is a Roll-Your-Own Sushi Class this coming Saturday from 17:00-18:00. It is $35 per person and you will make spicy California roll and a California roll. People 21 and over will also get to sample sake. I work until 16:00 Saturday and I could be there, no problem. Of course, "space is limited" but participants also get a sushi mat and chopsticks. I am already a sushi Matt and I have several pairs of chopsticks already. I will give it some thought, actually. Do I really need to make my own sushi?
we have some of these and I always thought they were place mats

While I was driving to the store my dad called me and asked if I was watching the Cubs' game. He has never been a sports fan of anything other than fishing and pheasant hunting back in the day. He texted me yesterday, when the Cubs were winning and wrote "Go Cubs." So now, when the Cubs are playing well he is a baseball fan, all of a sudden, and decided to like the Cubs so he could bust my stones. It does not bother me but I have never been a poor sport that way and I never will. I suppose that comes from playing sports. Losing is a large part of sports. I am watching the game while I type simply because I like baseball and this is the game that is on right now.

Jill is going to be home at 18:00 (allegedly). I think the dinner will only take me about 30 minutes or so to make so I will begin the prep at about 15:00 and start cooking at 15:30 or so. If she is later I can keep it warm in the oven though that is not my preference.

When I break-up the writing into sections between: mowing the lawn, grocery shopping (walking through three difference stores), playing with Jeff and doing laundry... the blog tends to get lengthy which is never my intention. I will end now and will probably not write again until Sunday. Thanks for humoring me while I try to humor myself. I hope you have a great next four days. TTTSunday probably...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment