Monday, October 24, 2016

Sports and Politics - Treacherous Waters Ahead?

Hey, I worked with one of those dudes
I want to begin the blog by congratulating the Chicago Cubs and, even more, my friends and the fans Cubs who have been waiting, for most of them, for this to happen their entire lives. The last time the Cubs were in the World Series was in 1945 and the last time they won the Series was in 1908. The Cleveland Indians have a very good team this season and a great pitching staff so it will be a tough road but odder things have happened. It's nice that two teams that have, mostly historically, had dismal seasons will face one another for the title. I find it pretty cool that Back To The Future predicted the Cubs would win the World Series in 2015 and here they are with that chance one year later than the newspaper headlines in 1985. They were supposed to play Miami and sweep them but Miami (I suppose the Florida Marlins are the closest since they play in Miami). Also, they are in the National League so that would be tough too. I wonder if we'll have snow in either Cleveland and/or Chicago before the champs are crowned?

There has been a question that has been gnawing at me since the Cubs have been doing so well and I am sure somebody can answer it for me. I also imagine I could Google it but this is what I am doing now so I will just ask you. Why do people fly their W flags even on the days that the Cubs lose games? I had always thought that they were flown only on days when the Cubs won like it is at Wrigley Field. Incidentally, I have been to well over half of the Major League Baseball parks and one of my favorites is Wrigley Field. I suppose it is good to get your money's worth for that flag while the iron is hot. Shouldn't there be an L flag too so there is no confusion?
 There is the answer and it makes sense, I guess 

Today is my one day off over an eleven day stretch so I have to try to get some things done today. The list I have is not to voluminous so I should be able to accomplish the things on the list. I did sign-up to "flex-down" for tomorrow and I will call tonight to see if that has been approved; I am not very optimistic of having tomorrow off though. The overtime pay is nice but I have become accustomed to sleeping in the little over the half-century I have been a living thing. I guess my dirt nap, when it comes, will make up for the time I am missing asleep these days. Okay, since curiosity killed the Matt I had to look and this is what I found about that.

I love baseball and I hope that all of the Cubs fans can experience the joy I have discovered as a Cardinals' fan. Everyone deserves to be happy. I was fortunate enough to go see the Cardinals in the World Series at Busch Stadium in 2006 with my then ten-year-old son. It was sort of a fluke that I got tickets and that we made it in time given there was a rain-out the previous night and the tickets we had were moved-up to the current game rather than the next game... I hope that many people can share that joy and excitement this year in Chicago and Cleveland as the memories that Fabio and I have from 2006. It seems like so much longer ago now that he has facial hair and is 6'6" tall.

I am so tired of politics and all of the issues that are causing so much turmoil and dissension between friends... I have deleted a few friends from my Facebook list and Cha Cha has completely put her Facebook page on hold (almost deleting it totally). Many of the issues that the two main candidates are discussing are not simply black-and-white issues but many people who consider themselves really far to the left (liberal) or really far to the right (conservative) think these things are all cut into stone and there is now give-and-take or circumstances that could change those solid lines. Many of these things are caused my religious beliefs or prejudices (gender, race...). I would call myself a moderate because I can see every single thing as one way and/or the other based on the other varying factors that make these things up. Most of the people I choose to associate with the most are like-minded. I have a few fiends that think are a bit too liberal which, to me, is just as dangerous as the alternative. I try to remember on what values and ideals our country were founded upon and hold these truths and principals to be self-evident. Apparently, they are not as self-evident as I had always thought.

I should end and get some of the things on my todo list started since this may be my only day until Sunday to get something done (and that is unless I HAVE TO work again two extra 12-hour days again next week). If I do get my flex-down wish granted tonight by the Flex-Down Fairy I will, most likely, blog again tomorrow. Thank you for stopping by and for letting me vent and rant and confuse myself (and maybe you too) even further. I hope you have a fantastic (is that too extreme?) day because I intend too. TTT?????...MITM (out) TA!

No comments:

Post a Comment