Friday, August 23, 2013

Lies, Lies, Lies.

As kids we were all told a bunch of stupid stuff by our parents. I know most of these lies and/or ignorant phrases were made to control us but I still remember them and ignore them today. I have been swimming less than an hour after eating many times since I was a youngster. Sometimes I think I have even had food in the water. I bet mother sharks never told their sharklings not to swim an hour after eating. Do you think fish tell their kids "don't go near the shore an hour after eating?" They should tell them that worms don't normally live in the water. "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all." If I followed this advise people would think I was mute. "Money doesn't grow on trees." That may be true for coins but when paper money was invented that sort of became a lie too since paper comes from trees. I know I am old but as long as I have been alive there has been paper money. "You can't teach an old dog new tricks?" Our dog is like 14 years old and we teach her new stuff all the time. "Sticks and stones may break your bones but words (or names) will never hurt you." That is half true; sticks and stones could break your bones very easily but I have been hurt many, many more times by words in my life than I have been by sticks and stones combined. I have had many broken bones in my day too but I don't think a stick or a stone was ever involved in any of these incidents. One time wooden stairs were involved so maybe that is sort of stickish. We were told to eat all of our food because there were starving children in Africa (unless you want to go swimming within an hour). Again, there were and are starving children in Africa but why didn't we just sent them the food we shouldn't have been overeating. There are starving people everywhere in the world, including in the U.S.of A., and we have become the most overweight country in the world because of these words. I guess words, even if meant to be good intentions, can hurt us eventually. They never put a time limit on the "hurt" did they? There were the other ones too like: Santa can't bring you that because his sleigh isn't big enough, go outside with wet hair and you'll get sick, be good or we'll send you away to live with gypsies (that one would have been cool now that I know what I know), if you swallow watermelon seeds a watermelon will grow in your stomach, keep making that face and your face will stay that way (I would be better looking if I had listened to this one)... The list goes on and on and on. This may be the book I have been wanting to write. This one actually could be an encyclopedia maybe?
Pretty Accurate as I See it

I am not sure why I thought to write that paragraph. I usually like to have smaller paragraphs because long paragraphs seem daunting and makes the whole thing look longer (TWSS). I really had an idea that stemmed from one of those fabrications and, by the time I got to the computer, I had forgotten where I was going so I went in a different direction. Maybe my parents should have told me, "appreciate your memory because before you know it you won't be able to remember anything and then you'll have to make up lies to tell your kids."

Today is the day that the astrological sign Virgo takes over. I fall under this sign and they say that we're: practical, thoughtful and reserved. Given those generalizations maybe my parents lied about my birth date too. I am thoughtful but I am generally not very practical and rarely am I reserved. Since I was born abroad on a military base I have dog tags and my birth date on them is off by two days. I always got some cock and bull story about that but now it makes sense. And, it was difficult for me to get my passport awhile back (if you'll remember). Curiouser and curiouser.

I was sad when I heard that Christian Bale was not going to play Batman again but now I am even sadder when I hear that Ben Affleck is going to play him. I even would rather have had George Clooney or Michael Keaton play the caped-crusader. I can think of a dozen or so people right off the top of my head that would be better. The movie, so my people tell me, is going to be with Batman and Superman. The film is actually the sequel to Man of Steel so maybe Batman will have just a small part, The dude who played Superman in the The Man of Steel (Henry Cavill) is gonna play him. The reason that Batman has always been one of my favorite superheroes/crime fighters is that it is possible. There could be a rich dude who could do most of what he is doing. Green Hornet, Captain America and maybe Iron Man too. I like Superman but it seems so much more unbelievable. Now I am worried when they recast The Joker.

That first paragraph got out-of-hand so I should end now. Have a great day. I thank you for stopping by and for reading the blog and for listening to the podcast. The podcast is still in the can (not the bathroom) and I have not begun the editing progress but should have that up on Monday probably. I may blog again tomorrow but being the weekend I will not make that promise at this time. Have a great rest of your Friday. TTT????...MITM (same Matt channel, same Matt time). BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment