Thursday, May 31, 2012

One of Most Famous Missing Person Stories Ever Linked to the MIDDLEwest?

I know I blogged last night but I am up and what else am I supposed to to at 3:23 in the morning? I already cleaned the kitchen and I am doing laundry (not the Dirty Laundry Podcast kind but the real laundry - not that the podcast isn't real but you know what I mean.)  

For some reason I have always been fascinated with Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart,... I love to fly, I love airports, I love lay-overs, I love diversions, I love cavity searches watching people at airports... I love pretty much everything surrounding the whole deal. There are times that airport travel stinks but it is always worth it no matter what to me. One of the places that I have always wanted to go, since I heard about it ten minutes ago, has been Nikumaroro Island. The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) is interested in this island too it seems. Did you say "T I double-guh Er" in your head too? While studying the island the group found pieces of a small cosmetic jar that, when they reassembled the pieces, it turned out to be a jar of an ointment with some snake-oil that was supposed to make freckles fade. What was an ointment jar used for Dr.‭ ‬C.‭ ‬H Berry's Freckle Ointment doing on a southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati island? The island name is pronounced Kiribis. If that's the case why don't we spell it K-I-R-I-B-I-S? That makes no sense to me. Nikumaroro is about 2,500 miles southwest of The Hawaiian Islands. I have seen Samoans with freckles but I am not really sure that they are too concerned with having freckles. Maybe if they are concerned with freckles they should stay out of the sun? The cream was manufactured in Aurora, Illinois (a town where I spent a lot of time in my yute) by The Stillman Company and was marketed and distributed in Chicago and New York by The Dr. C. H. Berry Company. And some people say I do not know how to do research - HA! I laugh in their freckled faces!!!! Anyway, what is a jar that contained this ointment that was most popular in the early 1900's doing in the middle of the south pacific? Was it a bottle that contained a message at one time that just washed-up on the shore of this uncharted desert isle? It was a very small jar so that is unlikely. Amelia Earhart had freckles and it is said that she did not like her freckles. Experts are starting to believe that maybe she crashed near this remote island and died there or perhaps she crashed near there and the jar washed-up on shore with some wreckage. One of Erhart's last heard radio transmissions said her plans were to fly over, among other islands, Gardner Island which is now called Nikumaroro. Amelia was most likely a castaway and died in paradise of old age - I prefer that thought rather than thinking she drowned or blew-up or worse. I think Dr. C. H. Berry's Freckle Ointment may have to be a new podcast sponsor! 
Okay, so I have solved that case - you're welcome history! And, once again, all things lead back to the MIDDLE of the country with Dr. Berry's Freckle Ointment.  

I wonder what is at 2975 Michigan Avenue now?  According to Google Earth it looks like it's near Rogers Chevrolet and it has a pretty good view of Whatchu Talkin' Bout' Willis Tower. Some people call it a Kaiser Blade I call it a Sling Blade Willis Tower but I call it Sears Tower. It is an empty lot near some projects it looks like - maybe Willis and Arnold Jackson used to live there before Mr. Drummond drove up in his big old limo?

Something weird is going on with the fonts and the italics and stuff when I look at today's blog so when you read it and if it is all screwy-looking I tried to fix it and Hal 3000 is doing whatever it wants today. Maybe my mentioning him in the blog by name he will post the blog properly. 

Sorry I got carried away on one thing (freckle ointment) but by the time I did all the research the blog took me about an hour to write when it should have taken about 15 minutes. Now you know what happened to Amelia Earhart before everybody else though so that has to make you feel good? Also, if you want to get rid of freckles you know there may be a way to pay money and not get rid of them. I love freckles so if you're getting rid of them for me please don't. That is not to say I don't like no freckles as I bat from both sides of the plate on the freckles issue though I have a higher average from the freckle side. Enough....shut-up already Matt In The Middle - dang!

Thanks for stopping in and for learning from Matt In The Middle School Rock! I appreciate you keeping me writing. Have a great Monday - Thursday to most of you . TTTT (probably)...MITM (out to find a brown sharpy to add some freckles) TA!

3 comments:

  1. Matt...thank you so very much! I had remembered reading about Stillman's Freckle Cream and knew it was associated with Aurora/Montgomery. Hmmmm.....as I read of the possible Amelia Earhart aircraft find and of the freckle cream jar, I wondered if Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream might have some link to Stillman's and low and behold...it does and you prolly thought by this time that no one might ever read your blogpost regarding this subject matter.
    Matt...You, my dear, are a genius!!! And now I will post this on our Aurora, IL nostalgia site on FB...Bitch, PLEASE!!! I'm from Aurora!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw this. I didn't even know these comments were here. Thank you for the kind words. I am happy to find out that I am a genius! I will mention your site on my blog and on our podcast http://dirtylaundry1.podomatic.com/

      Delete
  2. "...The cream was manufactured in Aurora, Illinois (a town where I spent a lot of time in my yute) by The Stillman Company and was marketed and distributed in Chicago and New York by The Dr. C. H. Berry Company..."

    Very interesting... How do you find out the Berry brand was made by Stillman???

    ReplyDelete